cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Exception list?

Is there a way to make McAfee Security Center NEVER scan a folder or file? Because Mcafee detected a trojan in 1 of a file that my computer downloaded it and it removed it, preventing me from playing a game. People from www.ijji.com said that it is a false alarm and only happens with McAfee.

7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Exception list?

Hi ,

When a file is scanned, VirusScan compares it to known threats. VirusScan also uses heuristic techniques to detect unusual behavior. When a file cannot be matched to a known threat, but exhibits unusual and possibly threatening behavior, VirusScan utilizes Artemis technology to evaluate the threat of the unknown file. If the file is deemed unsafe, VirusScan will quarantine the file to protect your computer.

If you feel that VirusScan has incorrectly quarantined a file you know to be safe, you can recover that file or send it to Mcafee labs using the steps in the below link : http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100617&lang=en_US&prior_tid=18&AnswerID=16777218&tur...

Regards,

Dinesh K

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

067875369 wrote:

Is there a way to make McAfee Security Center NEVER scan a folder or file? Because Mcafee detected a trojan in 1 of a file that my computer downloaded it and it removed it, preventing me from playing a game. People from www.ijji.com said that it is a false alarm and only happens with McAfee.

We've been lobbying for that facility for years.  It was a feature of VirusScan 7 and still is a part of VirusScan Enterprise and is also a feature of most competing brands...unfortunately McAfee developers have chosen to ignore our pleas.

Until auch time as they listen and act, you will have to submit samples to Webimmune & hope they allow the detection.

I made a quick reference on what to do with false detections here:   http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

Contributor
Message 4 of 8

The problem is that everytime the file is downloaded, Mcafee removies it instantly.

Message was edited by: 067875369. I tried restoring it but, Mcafee removes it again when I tried to start the game. It won't let me send it because it says "the file is too large" on 30/12/09 8:54:38 CST PM
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

The file I want to send is too big for E-Mail Submission and WebImmune Submission. It is 3.15 MB. Is there another way i can send the file?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

That link explains how to temporarily disable VirusScan long enough to allow the file to be restored and has a link to an unofficial size increase in submissions.

Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Do I wait for their response after i have sent it?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

If you sent it correctly then they will auto-respond followed by a manual response.   If the manual response says it is infected and you disagree reply immediately disputing that and they will look at it further.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community