cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captfbgnet
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Everyday re-boot after updates installed?

Updated to Security Center 9.3 10 days ago. All went well with no install problems. Green check mark shows "Protected." For the last 5 days, when I check the computer, I'm told to re-boot computer to finished installing the updates. These updates appear to apply to the anti-spam and parental controls looking at the 'last update." file of each component. VT found no problems.

Is this every day re-boot to-install action normal for 9.3? In the previous version I seldom had to re-boot for installing updates.

I tried to find something on this in this forum, but had no joy. Any information would be appreciated to calm my nerves that "all really is well." :rolleyes:
6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

RE: Everyday re-boot after updates installed?

No it's not. What is your operating system and service pack and is it up to date?
Do you have or have you had any other protection software installed?

Try the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
captfbgnet
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Everyday re-boot after updates installed

Ex_Brit, tks for the quick reply. OS is Vista SP1 x32 Home Premium with ALL window updates. Had McAfee support walk me thru the uninstall and re-install, your steps #1, 2 $ 4 and re-booted. He said nothing about your step 3 and I'm really reluctant to do it all again because of installation issues (just read the forums) and testing my luck again.

I notice that 'manually checking for updates' causes the same problem even w/o any updates to install. Can you think of anything else outside of your excellent recommendation that might work?:confused:
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

RE: Everyday re-boot after updates installed

Don't worry about step 3 that was only the icing on the cake really.

Are you signed in as a "Limited" user when these updates occur and we are talking only about McAfee updates here? Or does it happen with any updates?

I'm stumped for ideas other than it could happen if your are a limited user and the only other thing is that there must be traces of some other software that is messing with the settings.

I'll ask for help here.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

RE: Everyday re-boot after updates installed

One thing you could try is go to system\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT and delete the contents of that file, then right-click the taskbar icon and select Updates.

You may have "View Hidden Files & Folders" checked under Tools/Folder Options/View in Windows Explorer.
captfbgnet
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Solved

Ex_Brit, I have full administrator rights, and followed your advise to the letter. Although I was unable to delete the two files, I crossed my fingers, doubled checked my(your) work and re-installed the program from my McaFee account. All went well and there is no problems/issues. Update works now as intended. VT scan fixed one reg problem, but everything seem to work.

Thanks for sharing your vital information to me and others. Your information and patience work.

Indebted.... happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

RE: Everyday re-boot after updates installed?

Glad to help.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community