cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

Errors after last program upgrade

After major upgrade a month ago, new and big interface, I noticed a couple of errors. (win xp sp3)

First, after updating the virus database I get the msg "visual basic error, R6025, pure virtual function call", and right after another msg saying McSvcHOst or something has closed, and the tray icon disappears. A few minutes later the Mcafee startup screen appears and then the tray icon.

Second, If I right click scan N files, McAfee says that "2N files" has been scanned

15 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Re: Errors after last program upgrade

First make sure that XP is totally up to date with all important updates using Microsoft Update.

As McAfee uses IE for its display and function, make sure IE is version 8 and updated as well as its add-ons.  (It doesn't have to be your default browser).

The upgrade to the new interface may have corrupted so if the problems persists there are two things to try before approaching Technical Support.

1)  Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

2)  If 1) doesn't help, then uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, then run MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

If all the above fail to rectify the situation, Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 16

"Pure virtual function call" - have a look at the screenshots I posted in this thread and tell me if this is what you're seeing.

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Hayton,

Yes, that's the error msj "Microsoft Visual C++..". Then the McSvHost error msj.

I also noticed that after hybernation the McAfee icon in the task bar is missing, althouhg McAfee seems to be working.

Ex_Brit,

I did not open IE in years, but I let Windows to update my laptop. HOpe that's enough.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 16

Ex_Brit,

I did not open IE in years, but I let Windows to update my laptop. HOpe that's enough.

Yes as long as you keep it updated, you don't have to be using it.

Sleep with Windows generally can be a messy thing where some software works fine and others don't.   Personally I avoid hibernating my computer, preferring to power off.

But let's see what Hayton has to add.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/12/13 3:42:08 EST PM
mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

I ran MVT, solved a Security Center registry error (session id 49447614, 12.8.856), restarted, and right-click scanned 13 JPG files which McAfee lists as 22 files.

Waiting for virus update to see if McSvHost crashes.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 16

mac_mdp wrote:

Hayton,

Yes, that's the error msj "Microsoft Visual C++..". Then the McSvHost error msj.

I also noticed that after hybernation the McAfee icon in the task bar is missing, althouhg McAfee seems to be working.

Ah. Just as I thought.

Microsoft specifically state that this error message is the result of a programming error and even go so far as to advise what to do in order to correct the programming fault (quotes I included in the other thread). McAfee, please take note (not that they will, see below).

Calling a pure virtual function is a programming error, so you need to find the call to the pure virtual function and rewrite the code so it is not called.

I raised this issue in a conference call and the how-to-fix advice came back as "uninstall any Visual C++ redistributables prior to the 2010 redistributable" - whether that really meant junk all except the most recent, or "if you haven't got 2010 get it and junk the others" was not clear. No mention of anyone fixing any programming code.

If you want to play around with deleting VC++, you're welcome to go ahead. Last time I did something like this I ended up having to delete and re-install all of .NET, all scores of downloads of it, over a slow link (that's ISP throttling for you). No, at the moment I'm going to live with it since it doesn't seem to interfere with the updates, rather than waste another two days like I did before.

The other point : yes, the Mcafee shield icon often disappears after coming out of hibernation. Not always, and it re-appears after an update (with or without the Visual C++ error).

Don't you just love McAfee's endearing little idiosyncrasies? 

Message was edited by: Hayton on 10/12/13 03:41:24 GMT
mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 8 of 16

Hayton,

Thanks for your reply.

I opened CCleaner to see what versions of VC++ I have installed: 2005 and 2008.

MVC.jpg

I do not have 2010.

I was thinking to install 2010, and wait to see what happens *before* trashing 2005 and 2008.

BTW, is McAfee active after this kind of crash, or is it an open door for viruses, intruders, etc?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I wouldn't bother with installing VC++ 2010 at this stage. As far as I can see the problem is not directly related to what VC++ versions are on your machine or mine, although I am quite willing to be proven wrong on that point.

McAfee certainly isn't adversely impacted on my machine by this programming bug. McSvHost is a container program, like Windows' svchost, so if one of the programs/services it's responsible for crashes, the damage is limited. The whole thing is supposed to start up automatically after a failure, and it used to be easy to modify the restart behaviour - I posted a how-to in another thread, with screenshot (see here). Easy, or it used to be.

Since the latest upgrade things are different. Go into services.msc and see if you can find mcsvhost in the list. I can't see it. I think McAfee have either opted for granularity or they've changed the underlying structure. Certainly Process Explorer shows two instances of mcsvhost, oneof them looking after SiteAdvisor and the other with about 5 or 6 programs in it. Each of those shows up in the services list as a separate entry, but not all of them can be modified through services.msc to restart automatically. Experiment and see which ones you can change. Ideally you want automatic restarts after a minimum time period.

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

Hayton,

I ran services.msc and there are a few mcaffee services, some are labeled "no action" after an error.

Sin título-1.jpg

I also installed VC++10 without uninstalling the 2005 and 2008 versions.

After that, the error is less frequent, just a couple of times that last weeks.

But right-click scan still lists more files scanned than selected.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community