Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 15

RE: Corrupt McAfee File

Try chkdsk again but this time give it the r parameter.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and "Run as Administrator".

In the cmd windows type chkdsk C: /r with the spaces as shown and if it's a different drive letter change C accordingly. If you only have one drive simplify matters by merely typing in chkdsk /r and click Enter (with the space).

Click Enter. You'll get the reject message saying volume is in use run at next boot Y/N.
Type in Y and click Enter.
Exit the cmd window.

Reboot immediately and hopefully it will run.

Why it is asking you to do this remains a mystery but we might as well humour it.
saratb
Former Member
Message 12 of 15

Corrupt MCLOGS

Thank you for the advise. I'm sorry I didn't get notification about your new post on the 11th? I just checked in today to see if anything new was on. I tried your new response with and this is what happened:

After completion and restarting my computer I got these messages:

C:/PROGRA~3/McAfeee/MCLOGS/MISP/mcagent is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk Utility.

Then this message also:

Application failed to ititializae: 0X800106ba. A problem caused this service to stop. to start service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

I restarted and got the same notices.

I then unintstalled McAfee and reinstalled once again just to see. Virus Scanner failed to install and I was asked if I wanted to try again. I did, still just the virus scanner part of the installation would not install. Virtual Tech popped up and I scanned with it. The Virtual Tech told me to go to Security System and click fix. I did and then Security System told me it was unable to fix the problem. It said: One or more problems could not be fixed because of an error.

I cannot go back in time to restore to an earlier date before all this started happening because of the corrupted McAfee file. Windows tells me to fix the problem first then it can restore.

I'm stuck. I cannot go back to my back up for the same reason. When I uninstall McAfee everything is fine but I am running with no protection. I of course turn on Windows Firewall and Defender to get some bit of protection but stay on the internet for just a few minutes and then shut down again. Maybe a new virus protection is the only answer? I love McAfee and don't want to switch. It has Sight Advisor which depend on and am used to.

Hope you get this soon. I'll be checking back in in a little while.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

saratb
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 15

RE: Corrupt MCLOGS

I'm wondering if this is due to malware. Try scanning with the free version of this tool:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

VirusScan refusing to install is a clue that malware may be present. Or there are traces of a previous anti-virus application present.

Short of the above being a solution I think your next step would be to approach online Technical Support Chat. Link is in my signature.
Steve136
Former Member
Message 14 of 15

Re: Error Message for McCafee/MCLOGS/MISP/mcagent is corrupt

If you have deleted McAfee, used the cleanup utility and then reinstalled and still getting the message.  I fixed mine after finding "mcagent.exe" in startup.  I just disabled that line and now it does not appear.  McAfee support told me that that file was no longer needed by the current version.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 15

Re: Error Message for McCafee/MCLOGS/MISP/mcagent is corrupt

The version has changed since March, when this was posted, anyway, so you are probably right.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community