cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saratb
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Error Message for McCafee/MCLOGS/MISP/mcagent is corrupt

For the past several weeks every time I restart my computer I get a bubble window at the bottom telling me this: C:/ProgramData/McCafee/MCLOGS/MISP/mcagent is corrupt and unreadable Please run the chkdsk utility.

I have run the utility and it has not fixed the problem. I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled it. When I uninstall everything is fine, when I reinstall I get this message. I Googled this problem and found out this is a file that is associated with Securty Suite and makes sure that McAfee is up to date.

I have chatted with McAfee 3 times already and the problem has not been solved. I don't know what to do.

I am using Version 9.3 that I purchased in September of 08.

Version 9.3 Security
Version 13.3 Virus Scan
Firewall 10.3
Site Advisor 2.8

I have Vista 64 on a Gateway T-6836 laptop.

When I go to Chkdsk it tells me it cannot run while windows is running so schedule for the next time I restart my computer which I do. Nothing.

Still same message, over and over and over again. I thought maybe going back in time and restoring my computer to before this started happening but it won't let me do that because of the corrupt disk.

I cannot find anyone else having this problem. :confused:

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!
14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

RE: Error Message for McCafee/MCLOGS/MISP/mcagent is corrupt

Moved from ISS9 to ISS11.

When you uninstalled did you use the cleanup tool? Did you have an older version of McAfee installed previously? Also have you been using registry cleaners, if so, stop.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
saratb
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

McCafee

Thanks, I'll try what you have suggested. I did have a previous version of McCafee but not installed on this computer.

Umm, how do I find the program files that you told me to locate?

Also no, I have not run any registry cleaners, and I did use disk clean up and then defragged.

Thanks Again!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

RE: McCafee

Don't worry about that part if you don't know. The removal tool should clean all that up anyway.
saratb
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Corrupted Disk

Sorry to bother you again, but when I click on the link you sent in step #2 it says: The document ID you requested is not recognized in our system.

Hope I'm not being too much of a pest!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

RE: Corrupted Disk

Not at all...well it's working for me but just in case I've attached the file. You'll have to unzip it of course.
saratb
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

Corrupt McAfee File

I followed your instructions, unzipped the file, it looked like it was working. I restarted my computer to finished the process. No warnings popped up about corrupt files. I went into my account and downloaded McAfee and restarted the computer. I am still getting the warning

Mcagent exe- Corrupt file. Please run chkdsk utility.

Grrrr. now what? Is it the download site? Am I not extracting all previous files? I noticed that even though I unzipped and ran the Virtual Technician still had an Icon on the desktop. I checked it and it wasn't blank it was still available.

Now what?

Thank you.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

RE: Corrupt McAfee File

I suspect that a very old version of McAfee was once installed. Could that be the case here?
If so, the removal tool would probably not have removed it.

Let me ask for help.
saratb
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

I really don't think there was ever any other versions of McAfee on this computer. I did have an older version of McAfee on my older laptop, but turned that one over to my daughter and then purchased this one new. This one came with Symantecs installed on it for free for 3 months, which I left. When it expired I went back to McAfee and and purchased a new subscription since the old one had expired. I uninstalled the Symantecs and installed this version of McAfee. I just double checked to make sure all of the Norton was off and it is. I tried your remedy one more time and I am still having the same error message, this time it was accompanied by a message that said McAfee installer has a corrupt file. It only flashed for a second and then it was gone, so I did not get to copy it down to let you know what it said exactly....

Hope this helps, and thanks again for your info!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

I've asked for help with this.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community