cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rOVLC
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Do I have to uninstall?

I have used McAfee for many years. I use dial-up ISP but always update my McAfee files at least daily. A few weeks ago my annual license for Internet Security Suite was due for renewal. I contacted customer service and renewed it for 3 years. After my purchase the tech said that in order for McAfee to function correctly I MUST uninstall the entire McAfee system, download the files, and re-install.

Downloading the files takes many hours + then it takes quite some time to find all the little tweaks & settings to get the products to function as I prefer.

I don't understand. If my McAfee products are functioning and the files upated properly as of today, then how can just extending my renewal date cause a problem? I purchased the CD, at an extra charge, to cut downloadtime (just in case), but I really, really want to avoid this un-install/re-install issue if at all possible.

Was the tech correct? and if so, Can you explain why it's necessary? I would like to know.

Thank you for help with this.
Tags (2)
7 Replies
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

RE: Do I have to uninstall?

A few questions:
Is the old instalation or the new one an enterprise product ? You can't install an enterprise product over a consumer one, and vice versa.

Do you use some particular software for dial-up with McAfee ?

Do or did you get your McAfee software from your ISP, or purchased directly from McAfee ?

If the answer to the above questions is no:
There should be no need to uninstall, except perhaps:
What kind of McAfee product did you have ? A current one, online subscription ? Or a 'legacy product' ? see:http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=CS40039 If you were using, for example, not the current Virusscan 13 but a legacy product like in: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126
,for example Virusscan 10 with DAT updates, you should indeed uninstall first.

Otherwise there should be no need to uninstall.
But what puzzles me is that you bought a three years license. I've never heard of that. Maybe more info about that would reveal the mystery ? Usually McAfee uses an annual auto-renewal, whether you like it or not.

Just a few points to consider.
If you post more information, more knowledgeable people on this forum may be able to help you, or you can try a chat with a different customer support individual.
rOVLC
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Answers to your questions.

Thank you for your prompt response. Hopefully these are the answers to your questions.

I use NetZero as my ISP. I purchased my Internet Security Suite directly from McAfee, and downloaded it from their site, last April. And I have no legacy products.

As far as I know all versions are up to date. Like I said, I manually check for updates every day, and McAfee seems to keep each product version current. Every once in a while I notice my daily update taking a little longer than 'normal'. When I check, I see the version of a particular product has changed. Just recently (about 04/16 or so) I saw that both Security Center & Personal Firewall versions had been updated, along with VirusScan. FYI, all of my daily updates since my renewal continue to seem to work just fine.

I have the auto-renewal feature turned off. Just my preference. To tell the truth I get so frustrated with this whole un-install/re-install routine that I ordered a 3-year renewal (which had to be done 1 year at a time) just to circumvent the annual problem. The tech said that until my license runs out (in 2012) I will not have to un-install & re-install every year.

Just telling you what I was told. Like I say, I'm just trying to figure out the 'why'. Having to remove the etire product & re-install it makes no sense to me.

Again, thank you for your time.
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

RE: Answers to your questions.

(partial quote above)

So you ordered a 3 year renewal because you got so frustrated with this whole uninstall/reinstall routine ? To be honest, I don't understand. If you were using auto-renewal, there should be no need to uninstall, since the license continues.

If you just renewed your license (check your McAfee account, probably mcafee.com and then go to your account and log in) there should be no need for an uninstall. Not if you renewed your license before it expires/expired, anyway (I'm not sure about special 3 year licenses!).

I suggest you check your McAfee account, and see if your current (or should I say 'old') McAfee account has had its license extended for three years, or if it shows up as a new license, separate from the one you had before you renewed. If it shows up as a separate license, you probably DO have to uninstall (don't forget to use the MCPR tool plus instructions which can be found on this forum) and reinstall. If it's the same license, you shouldn't have to renew.

This is to the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong of course, technical support staff that frequents this forum so now and then may be able to give a more definitive answer, or you can try chatting with another customer service or technical support representative.

Note added later: you purchased a CD. That suggests you have a new license, but I don't know, as I stated, check your McAfee account.
I don't know what is on the CD, what is on it may be outdated, it is common to use an online download instead of installing from the CD.
TerryMar
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Re: Do I have to uninstall?

Hello, in the following blogpost there is a guide on how to start processing online card payments instantly,there is no need for a registered business or other documentation.
https://blog.cycopay.com/how-to-accept-credit-card-payments/

tags(ignore):how to accept card payments, how to accept card payments online, how to accept credit card payments, how to accept credit card payments online.
how to accept payments online, steps to accept credit card payments
Briangar
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hello,in the following blogpost there is a guide on how to start processing online card payments instantly,there is no need for a registered business or other documentation.

tags(ignore):how to accept card payments, how to accept card payments online, how to accept credit card payments, how to accept credit card payments online.
Ronaldcup
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hello,in the following blogpost there is a guide on how to start processing online card payments instantly,there is no need for a registered business or other documentation.

Dennisheava
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

[center]This is not spam or marketing, we are at the beginning of the journey and we’re just trying to get some feedback, anything constructive would be appreciated.[/center]
[center][b]CycoPay[/b] is a payment processing platform for startups & individuals.
[b]
What do we do?[/b]
We are a platform that’s facilitating online payments acceptance for startups & individuals with no paper work and no time to waste.
[b]What’s our value proposition?[/b]
Instant onboarding: We let everybody in.
Tax remittance on behalf of you: We remit Tax for every single products, because we act as a reseller on every product.
API integrations & payment links.
[b]How are we different from Stripe?[/b]
We’ve noticed that stripe tends to close lots of startups merchant accounts especially outside of the US.
Like them, we offer instant onboarding, however we let everybody in, without paperwork, and when suspicious activity occurs we don’t close the account or suspend it but rather let the merchant prove himself.
We remit tax on behalf of you, so instead of keeping track of invoices for every order, you’ll have just one at the end of the month.
Try CycoPay: https://CycoPay.com
[b]About Us[/b]
We are [b]CycoPay[/b], a startup from the UK with a subsidiary in the EEA. We are an invoicing service that’s enabling startups & individuals to acceptance payments via payment links or by API integrations. [/center]
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community