Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vinl
Former Member
Message 21 of 95

Re: Desktop Icon still reappears after ver. 11.0.654 install

Jump to solution

Thank you sparc,

I did as sparc instructed, now after 2 hrs of working on my computer and a few restarts, it seems to have stayed gone for good. Hope this is the end of it

Edit: I haven't tried the file fix from Doug, I already patched it manually as sparc said and waited a few hrs before I came back to post, the result seemed good so far.

Message was edited by: vinl on 1/13/12 4:36:40 PM EST
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 22 of 95

Jump to solution

dougr_t3_support wrote:

Thanks for the feedback sparc. Your MER results were very helpful. Tommorrow I will ask to have MVT check for and add this key as needed. I also need to talk to the developers to ask why this key would not exist on some systems.

Thanks,

Thanks. I am in the US and should get the patch next week. Hopefully , the issue will be sorted out by then. I really don't like messing with the Registry and on dialup , reinstalling is a 11+ hour affair.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 95

Jump to solution

Wouldn't a complete cleanup and reinstall as I suggested in post #8 have done this?

Peacekeeper
Message 24 of 95

Jump to solution

Did both of you use windows program removal (add/remove or program files and features option) followed by MCPR mcafee removal tool and a reboot?  This is what Peter thinks could have left remnants of the old install Or did you just use windows to remove it.

My reinstall was a full clean up of everything Mcafee followed by a reboot anmd mcpreinstall running.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/01/12 8:11:22 PM
sparc4me
Contributor
Message 25 of 95

Jump to solution

For whatever edification it may offer-

Doug_PM.jpg                            

PreInstall.jpg

MVT Image_sm.jpg

Message was edited by: sparc4me on 1/13/12 4:48:58 AM CST

Message was edited by: sparc4me on 1/13/12 5:54:46 AM CST

on 1/13/12 5:57:52 AM CST
vinl
Former Member
Message 26 of 95

Jump to solution

No, I did the re-install straight from the site and did not use windows program manager to do the removal.

Straight to the site, login to my account, clicked on the link for the version corresponding to my license on this computer, auto remove old/install new/reboot, voila.

Whenever I read instructions for fixs anywhere, I always try to follow the steps exactly and not tinker with the process.

Message was edited by: vinl on 1/13/12 11:46:26 PM EST

Message was edited by: vinl on 1/13/12 11:48:28 PM EST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 95

Jump to solution

Then that's possibly why this is cropping up.  You could try a complete uninstall. cleanup, reboot and reinstallation or wait until Doug reposts with any suggestions.

sparc4me
Contributor
Message 28 of 95

Jump to solution

It's possible but not probable seeing as I DID go through all the steps to remove and clean-up (even if vinl didn't).

For whatever reason the install either didn't clean-up properly or did not replace the Reg. Key.

The install routine is supposed to do the Complete removal operation.

It is also supposed to clean-up properly before proceeding to re-install any replaced components.

This is the case with any of the normal updates (scheduled or manual) that

would upgrade i.e. Your BOOT DAT, Scanner Engine, Security Center, or Firewall and require a reboot to take effect.

Obviously you wouldn't go through Complete uninstall, use of MCPR and McPreinstall to update those components.

At least you sure shouldn't have to!

vinl followed the instructions exactly  "The install will remove your previous product and give you the latest version 11.0.654."

is what is stated as the correct procedure - nothing is mentioned about doing a complete uninstall, MCPR, preinstall routine;

and NONE of that should be (have been) necessary.

The only reason I went through that is due to not being able to continue with the install after the automatic program removal and what was supposed to be clean-up.

If all was working properly (in a perfect world) ANY installer is supposed to remove any legacy or 'untoward' components and perform clean-up properly prior to continuing to actuall program installation.

For instance - let's say vinl actually uninstalled his McAfee products 2 years ago and then decided to buy in again for 2012.

Most people would only use the normal means of uninstall (add/remove programs) thus they would leave remnants/ traces of the old prog.

So when they then go to run their newly purchased McAfee Installation, the installer will (should) go about removal and clean-up of any traces as well as perform a prescan prior to proceeding with actual program installation.

(New or) returning end-users SHOULD NOT need to go through running the MCPR tool or McPreinstall prior to running the new install.

The install executable itself is supposed to make that uneccessary except in anomalous cases.

What was of greater interest is that after all this time MVT was not checking for or restoring /correcting the 'shortcuts'KEY.

It means it is entirely possible that a number of the users experienceing icon reappearance after deletion were due to non-existence

of  the 'shorcuts' Key and it's contents.

What I'm particularly glad about is that I no longer have to abide an unruly icon and more importantly that this will, as jmckee pointed out; be sorted prior to the US and subsequent roll-outs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 95

Jump to solution

Well the installer is supposed to do all that but I think it's best to err on the side of caution when switching servers from one country to another.   However, you appear to be OK now, so that's good.

sparc4me
Contributor
Message 30 of 95

Jump to solution

What about erring on the side of following instructions as closely as possible?

What's the difference what server one downloads from?

Why does that neccessitate 'erring on the side of caution' moreso than

downloading the complete un/reinstall package from a localized server?

I do tend to agree with you as I've been working in the IT/IS industry so long; erring on the side of caution

has become a Modus Operandi. Measure twice cut once!

Most end-users however, can not be expected to take this attitude.

As with most drivers - They know how to start, stop, turn, excelerate;

but have no idea what's under the hood that makes all that possible.

The average (computer)  user does not want to be concerned with how or why it works - just THAT IT DOES WORK.

As I say, I've been working in the industry for quite a while starting back in '73-'74  with my first big project (deployment of linguistics Apps. on the Arpanet at Northwestern Univ. (We were still  using COBOL & FORTRAN no one had even heard of a GUI 

-I was in the 6th /7th grade age level but a bit advanced for my age)

Currently I consult  for Intel (Jones Farm Campus) and regularly sit in on their 'Think Tanks'. I actually instituted the roll-out procedure for transfer of enterprise deployable chipset drivers on the old quad-cores. I also 'moonlight' on Tier III remote helpdesk support for a company out of Chicago.

Most people don't believe in miracles.

Frankly, after all I've seen/ experienced in this industry I consider it a myriad of miracles

everytime a user is able to successfully boot-up to a usable desktop; miracles are happening all the time!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community