Message 31 of 95

Re: Desktop Icon still reappears after ver. 11.0.654 install

Jump to solution

Point taken.  😉

Peacekeeper
Message 32 of 95

Jump to solution

This is why the aussie install less chance of high number of complaints so any bug found fixed before the larger markets download the fix.  Only you 2 so far got this I will retry the install on another test Pc I use for beta so will see if it goes correctly.

jabouy
Former Member
Message 33 of 95

Jump to solution

OK, so that's the desktop icon sorted.

Now how about the Start Menu folder and Icon?  I was told this was a related 'bug' but my Start Menu Icon keeps coming back like a goodun.

Not only that if I put it somewhere else in the Start Menu folder tree it gets magically plucked from there and back where McAfee wants it.  It's a pretty magic 'bug' if you ask me.

Man, this is like pulling teeth.

Enough of the system hijacks already, I just wanna set up my folder and icon structure how I want it.  If every application behaved like this it would be chaos.

Message was edited by: jabouy on 13/01/12 22:38:00 CST
sparc4me
Contributor
Message 34 of 95

Jump to solution

Only 2 instances verified is what you mean, right Peacekeeper?

-if you look at it demographically that could represent 20 or 200 or 2000.

This thread has been viewed 1100 times(thusfar);

it's just possible that others that are similarly affected have viewed the solution

and implemented it themselves without posting.

You may never be able to replicate the symptomatic behavior

but hopefully at this point it won't matter since both  the developers and support are aware of the source of the problem

and thus better prepared to see to the fix as well as deal with any new subsequent affected users.

More importantly Doug will be able to escalate inclusion of the 'Shortcuts' Key check routine into MVT.

And possibly the developers will be able to allay this problem as part of the install routine.

Peacekeeper
Message 35 of 95

Jump to solution

Agreed 2 known of so far. yes Doug will be following this and note the start menu comment

I will test things as well here

Peacekeeper
Message 36 of 95

Jump to solution

OK Jabouy tested removing Mcafee security centre from programs list that is what you are talking about correct? Rebooted no start menu item BUT ran an update and start menu item returned so seems bug is in beta as well. Will bug report it if this is the issue you are talking about.

vinl
Former Member
Message 37 of 95

Jump to solution

What sparc4me said:

Only 2 instances verified is what you mean, right Peacekeeper?

-if you look at it demographically that could represent 20 or 200 or 2000.

This thread has been viewed 1100 times(thusfar);

it's just possible that others that are similarly affected have viewed the solution

and implemented it themselves without posting.

This is most certainly true of this whole desktop shortcut issue, I had followed and read through all 40+ pages of the original thread on this issue since this desktop shortcut started acting up for me from back in Nov (when I first came here the old discussion was only at page 20, and most of it was the old issue from 2010).

I have even downloaded and tried the old fix for the 2010 bug before finding out it was a different issue now, so I bookmarked and kept watch over the discussion for a month to finally wait out the solution. (it helped it was xmas, otherwise I'm not normally this patient)

There were already enough irate and tech-savvy customers posting, and seeing it got the attention necessary from McAfee I didn't feel the need to register just to rabble some more.

I'm sure there would always be more people with similar situations watching (and lurking) than just the ones who bothered to register to post.

Many are just too lazy or busy, if someone already said what I wanted to say and got the attention on the issue, then I'm happy to just keep watch. Until something came up...

Message was edited by: vinl on 1/14/12 5:53:44 PM EST
jabouy
Former Member
Message 38 of 95

Jump to solution
OK Jabouy tested removing Mcafee security centre from programs list that is what you are talking about correct? Rebooted no start menu item BUT ran an update and start menu item returned so seems bug is in beta as well. Will bug report it if this is the issue you are talking about.

Thanks Peacekeeper.

I can confirm that is the issue I'm referring too.

I would have started a new thread about it but when I mentioned it in an earlier thread I was told that this was part of the same issue affecting the Desktop Icon.

I'd appreciate bug reporting it, thanks again.

Again it's not the trivial matter of whether an icon appears it's to do with the application overiding my express wishes that is the main concern.

socal_mitch
Former Member
Message 39 of 95

Jump to solution

Since McAfee saw fit to prevent conversation by locking the original thread (and least one other that asked the same question), I've been hoping for good news.

Sadly, this is not giving me a warm feeling.  One, the fix is NOT out in the U.S. today like we were told, and it seems as though by reading this thread that the fix doesn't work.

S'up?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 95

Jump to solution

The US and UK area patch was released today...but...as with the announcement here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361 or on the Home and Home Office main page, "The patch is set to go to 25% of customers, therefore it may take several days to reach everyone. For immediate solution to the issue, reinstall from the Australia site. Go to http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx?culture=EN-AU and log in through "MyAccount". Find your product and install. The install will remove your previous product and give you the latest version 11.0.654. If you are currently on version 10.x.xxxx you may not be entitled to go to 11.0.654 yet."

25% throttling means it can take at least 4 days to reach everyone in a region.  This due to the fact that with 40 million or so customers it just isn't possible to update everyone simultaneously, the servers and the internet service providers might have issues.

Those threads were locked by the Forum Admin due to a huge increase in flaming.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community