cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene_Kim
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Delayed check for updates

Hi everyone, I have McAfee Total Protection installed, and I would like to know why SC (Securiity Center) doesn't check for updates as soon as Windows starts up. SC always checks for updates, several hours after I turn on my computer. Wouldn't that leave my computer vulnerable to new threats?  So I always do a manual check for updates. In the past, SC always checked for updates as soon as Windows started up. By the way, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. My brother is using Vista 32 bit, and he's having the same problem. 

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Delayed check for updates

The current version has a built-in timer that delays updates and scheduled scans if it detects too much hard drive activity, however that should change when it updates to next year's model.

This was following complaints from gamer users.

The SecurityCenter actually polls frequently for any available updates

Gene_Kim
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply, Ex_Brit.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

You're welcome.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 5 of 8

Has this been confirmed (that the 2011 version will either not have the 'smart' timer for updates, or that it will have an option to disable)?

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

There's no switch for the Smart Timer in the 2011 beta that I'm testing.   However, they apparently are working on it, either to improve it, or at least have a switch-off in a future update.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Ex_Brit wrote:

There's no switch for the Smart Timer in the 2011 beta that I'm testing.   However, they apparently are working on it, either to improve it, or at least have a switch-off in a future update.

Hi Peter I am very disappointed in hearing McAfee is still planning on using the STUPID smart timer in 2011 version. It takes forever to get updates automatically and I always have to end up manually updating. Apparently they want to lose more customers because I will not put up with this timer for another year.

Jerry

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

They are hoping that it will be fixed through a beta patch coming in through updates at some stage apparently.  Whether or not this year's model will be fixed is another matter.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community