Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 31 of 40

Re: Dat out of date?

Jump to solution

I don't know which DAT was bad but it looks like it was 6807.  It only caused issues on my Vista installation.  The others updated to 6809 by themselves and didn't display any abnormal tendencies.

You should update anyway, but if you're not experiencing problems then wait for it to do it by itself.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 32 of 40

Jump to solution

Thank you again Peter for being so helpful to me.  I will continue to wait it out.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 40

Jump to solution

OK, good luck.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 34 of 40

Jump to solution

Hello Peter.  I wonder if all the many McAfee users who don't come to the forum will find out they have a problem?  I haven't noticed any McAfee announcements about problems, I never received any email about a problem.

I have waited and I didn't get the automatic update to dat 6089. I tried twice to update manually this morning. I got the message that my programs were up to date.  Checking "about" shows that my last update was 08/17/2012,  dat 6807.

I don't have problem 1 or problem 2  in Document ID: TS101446  so I don't fit in there

outside of not being able to update to 6809, my computer is working fine, and McAfee appears normal (green everywhere)  However automatic and manual updating are not updating.

Has anyone proven that dat 6809 is actually working and free of problems?

If you tell me to 1. uninstall through the windows add or remove (I'm using XP)

and  then 2. download the MCPR tool,  do I save the tool to my desktop? 

I never remember if I should run or save a program

If I manage to do step 1 and step 2

Step 3 is going to my account and installing the product I just uninstalled? 

will my subscription expiration date be effected?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 40

Jump to solution

I can assure you that DAT 6809 works as that is the one that replaced the faulty 6807 and 8.   All my non-beta machines have it.   (The beta McAfee software updates differently than the current DAT method).

If you are still at 6807 or 8 then you need to either uninstall via control panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool (under Useful Links at the top of this page), reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Or....this may not work....you could try manually installing the DAT from the McAfee Download Center....just go HERE and click 'I agree', if it asks, and choose the '6809xdat.exe'.    Run it just like you were installing some software.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 40

Jump to solution

Oh by the way, I find that yes, it's best to save the MCPR to your desktop before doing the uninstall routine, I also save the fresh download setup file to my desktop for use afterwards to reinstall everything.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 37 of 40

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention I ran the MVT 3 times and each time it found I was missing a dat, and each time it said it fixed it.

So I figured even MVT couldn't fix the problem since it kept finding a missing dat.

I had given up at that point and posted to you this morning.

I just now tried one more time to download the dat manually from my McAfee program before going to the uninstall routines.

and It worked!  and I now have dat 6809!!!!   what a relief

"about" shows  Last Update 08/21/12  dat Version 6809  dat creation date 08/19/12

Thanks again Peter for answering all my questions (glad I didn't have to use the advice this time)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 40

Jump to solution

That's great.   All the best 😉

coffeesam
Former Member
Message 39 of 40

Jump to solution

My problems occured AFTER DAT 6809 installation. Since that time, upon checking

for updates (I always do updates manually), it comes back with the message that

my programs are up to date, after only searching for new updates.  

I did in fact also have connectivity problems (probably upon install of 6907 my guess).

which took many hours to solve.  I opened up Internet Explorer to try, and Microsoft automatically

diagnosed a Winsock error.  After rebooting, all connectivitty problems were resolved, but now

the security package updates are not being accepted.   

I downloaded and ran the latest version of virtual technician yesterday,

and it said all was ok.

I also use SuperAntiSpyware pro, and it is working fine (and accepting update definitions under these circumstances with McAfee.

The details from about page:

McAfee Security center 11.0  Build 11.0.678

Mcafee virus scan 15.0  build 15.0.302  last update 8/19/2012    dat version 6809

Mcafee antispam appears to be updating automatically

specs are:AntiSpam12.0  build 12.0.292

content update 8/21/12  (27 minutes ago)

This is provided to me as Verizon Internet security suite.

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 40

Jump to solution

Well you are up to date, so I don't see why that's a problem.  If you're worried your best bet is to contact technical Support and have them troubleshoot.  It's free by phone or online chat and linkedf through Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community