cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 11 of 17

Re: Concerning unsolicited port connection attempts.

Jump to solution

That's quite a mouthful and makes sense to me.

It also seems like the second I log onto the internet I have the port connection attempts, by looking at the time they are made.

You mentioned tracing. A question..... how can I trace these? I do not see a trace option like I had in my old security suite.

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 3/12/11 6:03:05 PM CST
newjack
Former Member
Message 12 of 17

Jump to solution

Hayton,Let me first say that you have phrased my answer better then I.Some of these Questions "seem to be a mystery"

I certainly do not claim to be a computer expert.Also I have recieved help from many good people on these forums.Now I feel bettor! lol. Markiebeau,If you really want to do all the work of traceing addresses there are some good tutorials on you tube.

Here is 1 here and there are others http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWNlEJfAaDY

markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 13 of 17

Jump to solution

Thanx. Will check it out.  All I know is my old Security Center had a tracing feature.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Jump to solution

Yes, when the 2011 McAfee came out we all protested that the trace feature should have been left in. Didn't do any good, of course. Apparently a number of the ISPs are moving towards blocking Pings (which tracing depends on) and that would have made the feature look unreliable or buggy. So they dropped it.

You can still trace most IP addresses yourself, using any one of a number of helpful providers. Most of them are free, although if you over-use the service you might get auto-barred. Ex_Brit recommended one to me which I find perfectly adequate : UTrace

And a second thought about port connections. As far as I understand it, many websites try to optimise page loading on your PC by spreading the load around, so that constituent elements come in from two or three servers in parallel rather than in one download stream from one server. To get the data onto your PC faster these servers will try to open ports as required so as to keep the data flowing. That certainly would account for the multiple connections I see being made (in Process Explorer). How they cope with my Stealth firewall settings I don't know, but perhaps I should be a tad more discreet when I grumble about slow download times .....

All this I've gathered from recent reading. I hope I got it right. You live and learn, hopefully.

markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 15 of 17

Jump to solution

Alright Hayton!!!   A+++

I believe this is what I was looking for, especially the port connection attempts. I knew someone out there would have some inkling as to what is going on. I tip my hat to you.

....and kudos to the rest of who posted very good info as well.

newjack
Former Member
Message 16 of 17

Jump to solution

When there is a something I am trying to learn about I try youtube.There a many computer videos and tutorials there.If you are concerned of a possible connection that has passed through your security.You can try this netstat -b command ,as opposed to just trying to look up IP attempts.There is a pretty good explanation here also.Hope this helps too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlKxI8HcdWI

markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 17 of 17

Jump to solution

Thanx newjack  Wiil check it out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community