cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 51

Re: Computer will not reboot after 2010 version update (Win7/64)

Ok first do the following

Start - control panel - system

Go to Advanced system  settings (on LHS screen)

Startup and recovery and

untick Automaticly restart that should freeze the bsod on that screen so you can read it.

Ensure write an event to system log is sclected and choose if you want a kernal memory dump or small memory dump both when saved are saved on c:\minidump.dmp or memory.dmp

The large 1 is very large and nearly not feasible to download to Mcafee os it can be several Gbs and that at upload speed can be days. Also can wreck your monthly Gb allowance

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 51

Newjack did any fix your issues prior to the dell update or is this a continuing issue?

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 13 of 51

Hi, Peacekeeper or Ex_Brit or anyone:

Any word?

Just got home, powered up the system (boots fine), and installed all 16 MS patches; rebooted fine, too.

Works great without McAfee...

Still await my call from "escalation" this evening.

Please alert them to the possibility that this involves network drivers...

(Saw a similar thread on the forum for another security suite some months back.)

That might explain why -- when MSC is installed -- I can only boot into safe mode, not safe mode with networking and not normal mode.

The only bit of the error message/stop code I recall from yesterday was DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL

Sure hope that the event logs or other info from the computer will shed light and provide a fix.

I will hope for the best -- contact from someone expert enough to help -- but plan for the "worst" (installation of another security product.

I really need to hear from someone from McAfee soon...

Thanks,

MM

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 51

Our tech thinks your issue is fixed in the current beta version they are suggesting you join the beta program and install it for the time being. It is felt this will get you up and running.

The beta is stable I run it 100% of time with win 7 64 bit.

They will be contacting you to get you back working hopefully today.

newjack
Former Member
Message 15 of 51

Hi peacekeeper,Thanks for the help.I think i have it working right now.But i have had it functioning many other times before.So,nothing personal but hopefully i won`t be talking to you tomorrow about the same thing.As far as the kernal memory dump and write a log.Those were all set up correctly.

I just checked them.Although on the bottom it says %systemroot%memory.dmp correct?I am an average user at best.If this is ok,then i seem to be ok for now.The only thing is the updates.When it updates it says "checking for updates".then i get (green check) "downloading" shows % then check mark.But when installing the updates It seems to stay At 0% the whole time.Then says your updates are complete?Originally when it failed it went through the process of showing me how much of the update was installed as it installed 10%,39%-80% ect.Does it sound like i still have a problem.This 2010 interface is very new to me so i am not to familiar with it just yet.Again thanks for your help.

Jack

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 51

MM, I've been following this with interest but no answers unfortunately.   I too have had the odd BSOD at various stages in just about all of my OS's but they've always self-corrected and the source of the problem has more oftne than not remained a total mystery.

I haven't had any lately though so I'm lost for answers.

Tony (Peacekeeper) has asked McAfee people to take a look in here, so keep your fingers crossed.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 17 of 51

Hello, Ex_Brit and Peacekeeper et al:

When 2010 was installed, the computer would ONLY boot into safe mode.

When trying safe mode with networking -> BSOD and a "driver-IRQL-not-less-or-equal" error (couldn't catch the stop code).

When trying normal mode -> just a BLACK SCREEN at the point between Windows logo and the login screen.

All of this reproducible and reproduced twice.

Does this point to some sort of network driver thing -- could 2010 somehow be unregistering a dll or other critical file?

(I don't even know if that makes sense, since I know zero about engineering...)

All I know is that the computer is perfectly fine without McAfee (successfully installed nearly 1 GB of 16 MS patches just a little while ago, including 2 completely normal boots...).

I did get my TS call from the "escalation team" just now -- agent was nice, but knew little.  Offered only to install a beta version of software.

Alas, I cannot take that chance or risk.

I would love to help, but I do not have time, resources or an expendable computer to use for McAfee beta testing.

If the full release version of the software doesn't work, I really have no confidence that a "beta" version will resolve my issue.

This stems largely from the fact that (they claim) my issue is "unique" --- the beta being offered is to fix a different problem with mini-netbooks, etc.  My system is about as different from a mini-netbook as one could be.

Moreover, how can I be sure that the beta won't make my problem worse, rendering my computer completely unbootable, or damaging my HDD or corrupting my OS????

Installing a beta just to "see what happens" violates a basic principle of first trying to diagnose the problem, before trying a fix.

No one from McAfee has yet asked to review any of the error logs, dump files or other data on my system.

So, offering me a beta engineered to fix a different problem makes no sense and, honestly, I am too scared to do it.

If the Dell "partners" are receiving their 2010 version updates now (6 months after 2010 was released to McAfee retail customers), then this might be the beginning of a deluge of problems.

Many home users -- esp those who take their updates "silently" -- may never know what hit them, when they end up with damaged or malfunctioning computers...  I hope this isn't the case.

Anyway, "Prakesh"  (or someone) is going to call back tomorrow after his team "discusses" what diagnostic information they might need to collect from my system....

Meanwhile, I am largely offline on the DT, awaiting eventual install of a proper AV and FW...

Thanks,

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 8/10/10 7:43:57 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 51

It's strange to say the least.  Hopefully Prakesh will call and find what's going on.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 51

I agree I do not want to see you here again either

The % will show especially for big updates but for dats only rarely .

newjack
Former Member
Message 20 of 51

O.k thanks peacekeeper.I believe i my Version of Mcafee 2010 is working as of now.I guess i will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks very much Jack

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community