cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_14617
Former Member
Message 41 of 51

Re: Computer will not reboot after 2010 version update (Win7/64)

I hate to go on but the same problem is happening with other OS's too suggesting that the problem is more generic than just an issue with one particular configuration of machine.  For me, it's exactly the same series of events with exactly the same update but on Vista.  Again, removal using Add/Remove and the McAfee removal tool make everything okay but then the update is again downloaded and you're back to the same problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 42 of 51

Dr_S so you have the black screen etc. What PC specs and brand/model.

user_14617
Former Member
Message 43 of 51

Yeah - it's pretty much a carbon copy in terms of the description of what happens except mine is an older machine (Dell Inspiron 530) running Vista - beyond adding a gig of memory it was just a standard set up.

Peacekeeper
Message 44 of 51

and yours only came in recently when the Dell users updated to 2010?

Just gathering info

user_14617
Former Member
Message 45 of 51

Yeah - it happened with the last update and had also happened with the update back in May / June too.  Whilst that one seemed to sort itself out a couple of weeks after after the whole add/remove and mcafee removal tool routine, this time it seems pretty intractable.

bryhy
Former Member
Message 46 of 51

I was wondering whether there are grounds for suing McAfee for stress and for, additional costs, involved !? It would be different if there had been an option to accept the 'upgrade' or not (with suitable warnings) but it was downloaded onto my pc without any permission from me at all. In retrospect, it appears that the only option I had would have been not to switch the computer off... As you can gather, I am still smarting from the experience.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 47 of 51

Don't you wonder how many XPS8100 (and similar) systems Dell sold with bundled McAfee?

Many home users -- such as yourself -- take their software updates "silently", so, the only indication of a problem happens when it is too late.

At least you found your way here and had a clue what the problem was.

Most probably will "never know what hit them" and will take their computer to the shop at great expense, for what may be drastic remedies.

Despite attestations to the contrary from McAfee it seems my case was NOT one-off. (I have a feeling some of the other threads here may be related, as well.)

Sorry you're living through it, too.

Cleaning up the computer and doing a fresh, clean install of M reproduced the problem for me a second time (I was even on the phone with T2 TS at Dell as we did it).

Moreover, although a second cleanup of M from the system seemed at first to restore the system to normal, there were subtle bootup issues for the next few days.

When the problem recurred (black screen) after a fresh, clean install of another security product, it became apparent that -- since hardware issues were excluded after extensive diagnostics -- the OS had become corrupted.

Although there was no evidence of ANY of these issues before the M update (in fact, the 2009 versions had worked just fine), the only safe thing for me to do was a factory image.

(Restoring to any other point, or restoring to any other PC image backup risked carrying over the corruption.)

Be sure that your computer really *is* completely back to normal.  And be sure you keep your data backed up frequently.

And, just to ask, have you installed another security product?

Or were you able to reinstall McAfee?

(Even if you enable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, you'll need a formal AV of some sort; you also may wish to install a more robust firewall, and additional antimalware, such as MBAM.)

I am still working to reinstall my software and get my system back to where it was 8 days ago.

My new security suite is awesome and, despite a learning curve, has excellent forums, tech support and informative website.  I researched for months before taking my decision, and I am pleased.

Kudos to the valiant volunteer mods here, esp Peacekeeper., Ex-Brit, and the McAfee folks, such as Somer and April.

We are all, however, powerless to fight the big red M.

MM

PS  Technical note: Whatever suite you end up installing, be sure you completely disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall BOTH from their user interface AND from services.msc (do not just change to stop service, actually disable).  They have a tendency to be running silently in the background and can create headaches.

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 8/17/10 8:12:47 AM CDT
acethepug
Former Member
Message 48 of 51

MoxieMomma,

I am so sorry to hear about your problem.  For what it's worth, if anything, I saw your posts on the MBAM forums, came here, and because of you shut off my updates (notify only) as of a week ago yesterday, potentially saving myself from this issue.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS 9000 with Win7 64 Home Premium, but with your comments, and no clear resolution here, I think another antiviral suite might be called for in the near future, if no solution is forthcoming.

I hope everything goes well for you and your computer, from what I saw of your profile, you have always helped others, and I wish I could help you with any suggestion, but I'm very computer illiterate

I wish you the best, thanks.

Take it and run,

To Mcafee, is this a widespread problem with Dell desktops bundled with Mcafee?  If so, how long would it be 'safe' to leave updates off until a fix is distributed to Dell customers?  Without this thread and another, I wouldn't have known there was an issue, and would potentially have a very pricy paperweight now.  Thank you for your time.

Message was edited by: acethepug on 8/18/10 11:04:35 AM CDT
randommike83
Contributor
Message 49 of 51

I got the same issue (maybe not as serious) and I am using a Alienware (Dell) m11x. I got my update on Monday 23 Aug 2010, was prompted to restart and instant BSOD after that (my first since getting the laptop this March).

My gut told me that it was McAfee update so I uninstalled and reinstalled the AV Plus but as of today, it didn't help. I have since uninstalled McAfee and installed the typical free AV for now.

Kinda sucks because the previous version was working well.

jpc72694
Former Member
Message 50 of 51

Hey I'm running windows 7 on a Dell desktop.  I had the same problem described here.  After a required update, I would have to restart, get a blue screen of death, restart in safe mode, do a system restore then disable my automatic updates and my McAfee version would be out of date and corrupted.  I went on the customer service for technical chat.  Had to have patience to get through the tier 1 guys, about two days later a tier 2 guy calls me back, I share my machine with him, he updates a network driver that is incompatible with the new update, removes McAfee from my machine, I reinstall it and it's been working fine ever since.  Just wanted to pass this info on and off thanks to the support guys...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community