cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 21 of 51

Re: Computer will not reboot after 2010 version update (Win7/64)

Still waiting....

Based on my conversation with "escalation" agent last night (who knew nothing more than the T1 fellow on Monday), it seems this is not a priority, since I am the only customer in the whole wide world experiencing this.  Hard to believe.

Maybe the first to report it, but probably not the only one.

To my inexpert eye, it seems it cannot be anything overly complex, as the 2nd, clean install seemed to proceed normally, and since simply uninstalling McAfee returns my computer to a completely normal state.

I would expect that there is useful info somewhere on the system -- error reports, logs, dump files, etc -- that might be useful

But hopes are dwindling that anyone will ask to obtain, review and diagnose them.

Anyone from McAfee, are you there?????

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 8/11/10 5:19:51 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 51

I hear you there are 2 bsods with win7 64 both rare but as I mentioned the beta might be worth a try. It is very stable so safe I my opinion to install and would show if yours a new issue.

will stir them

user_14617
Former Member
Message 23 of 51

I feel your pain Sister !!!  So much time, effort and (consequently) money wasted trying to get the damn thing to work.  I have exactly the same problem with Vista and have come to dread update time.  Dear McAfee - would it kill you to make a product that actually worked ?!  And how about a tech support function staffed by people who appeared to have a clue ?!

Peacekeeper
Message 24 of 51

What BSOD stop error and does it refer to a file?

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 25 of 51

Alas, still no resolution here.

Computer continues to work fine WITHOUT McAfee.

Fee-based T1 phone support was useless, as was a call back from T2.

I have sent a well-meaning McAfee individual (McAfee mod who did call me a few days ago) my MCPR log, an extensive diagnostic log detailing all the time-stamped events/errors from the upgrade debacle (including the damage caused to my HD), as well as updates regarding a system BIOS update performed 2 days ago (Dell had coincidentally published a new BIOS a fews ago AFTER this started).

Alas, no one with the technical expertise to interpret the information, diagnose the issue, or solve the problem has contacted me about their review of this information.

Instead, I am being offered the existing "beta" version to "see what happens".

This beta was engineered to address a different problem on a different platform.

The full release of the 2010 software (6 months after it was originally published for retail customers) rendered my otherwise rock-stable and completely normal computer unbootable except into safe mode not once, but TWICE.

Given that it also caused damage to my HD, how can I possibly assume the risk (please read the "disclaimer" stickie at the top of this forum) of seeing if this "beta" version further damages or completely destroys my system???

Despite ongong, very kind, and always well-intentioned private and public support from Peacekeeper, Ex_Brit and the other posters, I am no closer to resolution than I was on Monday.

Unless something dramatic from McAfee "Technical Support" (which I now believe to be an oxymoron) transpires in the next few hours, I will be performing the disk repair and installing another security product.

As for my *3-year* paid subscription, well, I presume that will necessitate yet another frustrating saga of trying to obtain a refund from "Customer Service".

I really see no other options,

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 8/14/10 7:51:54 AM CDT
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 26 of 51

MoxieMomma, this is a horrible turn of events. You are a valuable member of our community and I'm sorry to see you so frustrated. Who was the support person you sent the logs to? We have a lot of Tier 1 and 2's helping out here. Troubleshooting an issue, especially one like this, may take some time. I would only urge you to be a little more patient, especially since it's the weekend when our staff is thin.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 27 of 51

Hello, April:

Thanks for your reply.

Just for starters, this is NOT a "BSOD" problem, per se.

This is a BLACK SCREEN, cannot-boot-except-into-safe-mode problem so long as McAfee 2010 versions are installed on the system.

Once it is uninstalled completely, computer returns to 100% normal (although I still need to perform the chkdsk /f to repair the HD error this left behind).

Moreover, this was completely reproducible a second time, with a second, completely clean (apparently "successful") installation.

Alas, it has been nearly a week.

Again, folks have been very well-intentioned, but under-qualified, to address the issue.

I have to use my laptop for all online work now, since I only have Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and a temporary installation of MBAM Pro on the affected system. Without a formal AV or robust FW, I am reluctant go online much, if at all, for the moment.

(I did not want to confuse the issue or risk further problems by "temporarily" installing free or paid versions of other AVs or FWs while waiting for a solution.)

Please PM me for more specific information.

Thanks,

MM

user_14617
Former Member
Message 28 of 51

I really do not want to hijack your posting Moxie but it illustrates so much - you're trying to run a business and have been left compromised for over a week and the McAfee response is to ask you to be 'a bit more patient'!  This problem of Windows not loading after a McAfee update has been going on for ages in one form or another.  How is it possible that McAfee just seem to be doing nothing about it?  It has all the hallmarks of a once great company whose past successes are blinding it to its woeful current shortcomings and an organisation well on its way to the corporate graveyard.

I really feel for the volunteer moderators on here - you get the feeling that they really do care but are faced with a corporate leviathan whose complacency has rendered it inert and unresponsive.  It is such a shame.  Of course, the truly terrifying thing is that most of us who've been on here are of a tech-ish nature and are bending over backwards to give McAfee a second chance.  If the self-satisfied McAfee management really want to lose sleep just think of the devastating effect this problem must be having on customer satisfaction in the wider market and the impact this will have on your future reputation and sales.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 29 of 51

Well, it turns out, after a weekend of high-level TS with Dell and with the folks at Kaspersky (whose software I hadn't even installed yet, I might add), last Monday's McAfee "update" had corrupted the OS. (Thorough check of the HDD confirmed it was not a hardware error.)

So, today, I had to restore the machine to a factory image from the recovery partition.

I must confess, uninstalling the "bundled", pre-installed, OEM McAfee for the last time was the only bright spot in an otherwise dreadful week.

I now have a flawless installation of KIS 2011.

Were it not for what will be the otherwise unplanned and massively inconvenient hours, if not days, reinstalling all my software and recovering my files, it would have been worth it.

I am eternally grateful to Ex_Brit, Peacekeeper, the other volunteers, posters and McAfee folks who have been so patient and helpful for the past 8 months.

Alas, McAfee's software, engineers, customer service, and support have been, well..................let's just say, "worthless".

I doubt I will be able to procure a refund from Dell or McAfee, let alone recoup my weeks of lost productivity.

Bye, bye, McAfee for the indefinite future,

MM

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 51

We will miss your assistance here but we still want to find out why your OS was "trashed". What video card and driver were you running and was the Dell a standard model or did you add to the specs when you purchased it?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community