cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cepulamea
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Computer runs extremely slow after 2014 Total Protection install

I have installed Mcafee Total Protection 2014 - 1-year subscription : $89.99   I have used Mcafee for several years.  I have downloaded it on 2 laptops and they are running fine.  I downloaded Mcafee on my desktop pc and as soon as it was downloaded my computer started to run very slow.  Everything from booting up to opening the internet takes a really long time.  Even if I right click an icon I have to wait about 25 seconds for the menu to appear and then lets just say I want to open it in a new window or go to the properties of some program.  It takes at least a minute or two to load up.  I tried last night as I went to bed to run a full system scan and it appeared to be running slow, well when I checked it this morning after 8 hours of running it had only scanned 8%.  So I closed it ran my CC cleaner to clean and fix the registry files, cleaned and emptied trash like temp internet files and cookies.  Still runs super slow, so right now I am running a popular adware and malware program.  The full scan has beed running for a little more than 5 hours it shows 10 malicious files.  I am just waiting for it to finish to try more.  Either way it goes the pc is extremely slow and it was running just fine before I updated and added the new Mcafee software.  My computer is rendered completely useless I dont have the patience or the time to sit and wait forever.  I know that two antivirus programs and conflict with each other. I always keep the Mcafee program running all the time and only activate the others when I want to do something in particular, I then shut down any and all other software when Im finished and keep Mcafee running.  I have done that for years and had no issues with the 2013 Mcafee while I would do this.  Please help as I like Mcafee and want to use it, but if I cant get my pc running I will get rid of it and use something else.  I guess I am going to try and uninstall everything and re-install completely next to see if that works.  I am at a loss and am really frustrated.

Also, with my purchase I get a BONUS - FREE Registry Power Cleaner Lite!  I have not tried this at all yet, have not even downloaded yet as the stuff is running to slow.

Here are my pc specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz

4 Gig Ram

32 Bit Operating system

My graphics card is:  Nvidea GeForce GT 610 (1Gig)

13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: Computer runs extremely slow after 2014 Total Protection install

It's difficult to say what could be the cause in a forum.  Technical Support are better equipped to troubleshoot this sort of thing.  It's frree by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

However some things I need to ask.  Is this Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated and , whether you use it or not, is IE version 11?  (McAfee interfece IS Internet Explorer so it's important that it is also up to date along with its add-ons and set to default settings, but you DO NOT have to have it set as your default browser).

Also whatever security software was prevsiously installed, did you cvompletely remove it using their removal tool if applicable?

When McAfee is first installed it scans all your files and, if you store lots of emails in your Inbox rather than special sub-folders, it might get caught up on that, or if yoiu have a storage drive full of zipped files, that can also slow it down.

Can you verify what McAfee software is installed along with the version number please?   

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 14

Moved to SecurityCenter sub-forum.

cepulamea
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

First off thanks for putting this in a more correct forum. Sorry about that, I just opened a discussion I didnt really think about where I should open it.

I will need to check on the info you asked.  I know that it is SP1 and pretty sure its all updated.  I use google chrome for my browser.  Explorer is probably not up to date.  I will check all this and update what is needed and will post when its finished.  Thank you so much for the fast response, I have always had good luck with this forum, I really appreciate the help. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

OK, good luck.

cepulamea
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Okay everything was up to date.  When I installed this I did not remove anything.  During the installation process it said in a message that before the installation starts mcafee will scan your computer for any issues and resolve them.  It then said it was removing previous versions of mcafee before it proceeds with the installation.  Should I go back and uninstall everything and reinstall?  Is there a specific tool to remove mcafee software I should use instead.  I have not tried the virtual tech yet.  I guess I can see about trying that right now.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

I suppose it's possible the thing became corrupted somehow.   Uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and then reinstall from your online account.

When reinstalling you may wish to use the Custom option to see if any portions of it you might not need.   For instance I ignored Online Backup, File Lock, Anti-Spam and Parental Controls.   I use either different software and/or services for those ot don't need them, but of course it's your choice.

cepulamea
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Okay, I had all my downloads finished the upgrades for windows that is.  I still was experiencing super bad lag on everything.  So I uninstalled everything from Mcafee via controll panel.  When it finally finished uninstalling I tried out my pc.  everything was working quickly.  I opened up a few items from my desktop and was working fine.  I opened up the internet thru explorer and it was opening fast.  Quick page loads, the mcafee site opened very quickly.  So I started the download and went thru the steps, even cutting out some of the things thru the custom menu.  Right back to where I started, this morning I tried to pull up fandango.com to find movie times and it took everybit of 3 or 4 minutes just for the page to open and then for all the adds to show up and to see the movie times.  Im beginning to be at a loss.  Any other help would be greatly appreciated as I want to be able to use Mcafee, but it seems as its not going to run on my pc.

Thanks in advance.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

That's unfortunate to say the least.  I think your best approach now would be the 24/7 phone (or online chat if you prefer but phone is the quickest and easiest) Technical Support.  It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.   They might spot something that has escaped me.  They are overseas I will warn you but in my experience they are pretty good and if at first you don't succeed escalate the issue to a higher level.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 14

Hi cepulamea,

Kindly provide the below information for assisting further..!

1. The number of Network drives Connected (Open Computer and click on Networks to see the number of Network drives connected - also accessible in Computer )

2. Free space in C Drive (Open Computer and check by right clicking on C drive > Properties)

3. Virtual Memory alotted (Open Run dialog > type "msinfo32" without quotes > OK > Check VIrtual Space on right pane)

4. Whether Large Compressed files present (Say Outlook Data files .PST)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community