Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilE
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Compatability error report - help please

Hi,

I've been trying to install Internet Security 2009 today and keep getting an error report when compatability is checked. I am upgrading from IS 2006 8.0.

Compatability shows 3 items must be uninstalled -

Remove Privacy Service
Remove Privacy Service 6.0
Remove Internet Security 6.0

These have been uninstalled when I installed IS2006 8.0.

I ran the product removal tool. Several times
I ran virtual assistant or what ever it's called from the service section. Several times.
I ran mpscleanuptool.exe and according to the log file it found nothing to uninstall.

This is driving me crazy everytime I start the installation and it gets to compatability the whole thing stops.

What else can I do?

Desperate - Neil.
7 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

RE: Compatability error report - help please

There are a few registry keys that needs to be knocked out contact support it will be faster for you.
NeilE
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried contacting support. It was a pretty useless exerscise. I think it is probably good for those in the US but for people here in Australia there is no phone help and the chat thing was a waste of time (attempted about 4 times) as no one was available.

If anyone here knows the solutions I'd appreciate the help. I am very disappointed in this software. I regret signing up for it specially since they sign you up for automatic subscription in 12 months.

Neil.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Did you run all the removal tools here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=168100
Reboot
Then run the MCPR removal tool in my signature.
Reboot

Failing all that you'll have to use the registry editor to remove all traces.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit and click OK.
A page should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

if for some reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer.
Go to File tab and click "Export" and send the registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting merge.
Now click the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click "Find next" (or hit the enter key).
Whatever is found, right-click and delete.
Hit your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.
If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.
If all is successful that entry could not possibly remain and you can then delete the registry backup.

This has to be done when signed in as an Administrator by the way.

You may have to repeat it using "Network Associates" and/or "NAI" minus the "" - it can be a long process.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Why don't you select US as the country and try chat again..
the reason I suggest is simply because its far better and more real time than online forums...

Moreover do perform the steps mentioned by Peter. It will reduce the work on the chat to a few keys on the registry..
NeilE
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Guys,

Thanks for the tips. it's appreciated.

Let me say that I have been a "loyal" Mcafee user since the early nineties.

I've already run all those things yesterday aproximately ten times over. I even watched and listened to the flash demo about using MCPR and followed it exactly. In the end I re installed version 8. I lost an entire days work/production as a designer because this software will not install. I even went to the local supplier (20KM round trip) and bought the disc version to see if it would install, it wouldn't for the same reason. The update should have taken about 1 hour not 9 hours, 20KM and an extra $100.00. If it is as simple as a few registry keys why isn't there an installation note about the removal.

Worst of all there ws no one to respond to my call for assistance on many attempts.

A few times the programs download stage worked but they would not install. It came up with installing then the installation failed every time.

I have run all the removal tools, done all the reboots, stepped through the registry searching for Mcafee and also Privacyservice, found keys that needed to have permissions altered to remove them and of course removed them all then rebooted evertime before attempting the installation again.

Do you guys know which keys to delete? I am perfectly capable of the task having had issues with a previous version some years back that required some registry editing. These previous version issues had an easily found help files or notes in the service area.

Why is such a simple task so difficult it is rediculous and the Mcafee approach to help is outrageous.

Once again I appreciate your assistance but I cannot at the moment afford another days lost production.

Neil.
NeilE
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Chatted again and it's fixed

Guys,

Thanks for your help.
I did chat and select US and got help 3 times.
Ran 6 cleanup programs and followed a very stringent list of tasks without any luck.
In the end I had a second tier tech connected to my PC and fix it from all the way across the other side of the world. Sensational, it's all up and running.

Thanks again.

Neil.
Remaining a Mcafee fan wink
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

RE: Chatted again and it's fixed

Glad you are finally fixed up. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community