cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoperkins
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Clicked on "Online Backup" but nothing happens!

Jump to solution

Windows XP SP3

McAfee Internet Security suite - current updates, current paid-for subscription on 5 computers

Click on Navigation > Online Backup

Nothing happens!

Click on Navigation > About

McAfee Online Backup

Version 2.0

Build 2.0.235

How do I get the Online Backup wizard to open so I can configure it?!

About.JPG

onlinebackup.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Re: Clicked on "Online Backup" but nothing happens!

Jump to solution

Well the other thing to try would be a complete removal and cleanup of your system.  You may have tried it already but it's worth a shot.

Uninstall in the normal way through Control Panel, then run the MCPR removal tool downloadable from Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Meanwhile I'll flag this internally.

If you have a case number perhaps quoting it here will help.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/11 1:53:09 EDT PM

View solution in original post

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

I don't use mine so haven't set it up but you access it from the home page rather than the one you illustrated above.

Under Data Protection and Backup.  Click that to expand and then Online Backup.  You have to actually set it up in order to use it.

Capture.JPG

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

The "Online Backup" option is available from the default "Home" page or under the advanced-user "Navigation" page. In either case, the result is the same - nothing at all! It is like the hyperlink is inactive. I do get the "hand" selection tool, but clicking does not launch the backup program. Here's the same screenshot as you get, only plainly in my view the program is Installed.

onlinebackup.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it will fix it, if not then check with Technical Support Chat online via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Ran virtual technician, it detected out-of-date .DAT, fixed, I restarted, re-ran VT, it sez everything is fine, but still, no joy

MVT1.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Then I'm not sure what to suggest other than contacting Technical Support Chat linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

I have had very poor results with McAfee chat support, and tonight's episode was just another in a long series of disappointments. Now I'm in wait mode for a call back from Tier 2. I was kind of hoping someone else besides the volunteer moderator (thanks tho, Peter) would jump in on this thread - anyone using the "Mozy" online backup with a Windows XP machine and had problems?

Besides Online Backup not launching, the information balloon informing me that with the installation of the 2011 version McAfee redesigned its backup offering and that the old 2010 backup tool was discontinued. (Or was that the change between the 2009 to 2010 versions?) I've clicked through that informational balloon for several months and it never quits. This particular machine was kind of static information on its drives (until recently), and so just now I thought I'd take advantage of the 1GB of "free" storage and give McAfee a whirl. So far, it is just the usual unsatisfying blender mix. *SIGH*

Does McAfee monitor these community posts and attempt to improve customer service by addressing issues as they are evolving...? It has to be a better approach than the terrible effort they put into the online chat support.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Well the other thing to try would be a complete removal and cleanup of your system.  You may have tried it already but it's worth a shot.

Uninstall in the normal way through Control Panel, then run the MCPR removal tool downloadable from Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Meanwhile I'll flag this internally.

If you have a case number perhaps quoting it here will help.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/11 1:53:09 EDT PM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi geoperkins,

I happened  check your records regarding the call back, and once our tech from the next level diagnose your PC , they would be able to find out ore info .  Please let us know if your issue is not resolved post the interaction with tech support.

Regards,

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

I have the Online Backup working now. Here is what I did:

1. Uninstalled using Control Panel (normal uninstall procedure), restarted.

2. Ran the MCPR utility to totally remove (why this is even necessary at all is another complaint for another day), restarted.

3. Downloaded and re-installed McAfee Internet Security Suite, restarted.

4. Setup all McAfee options and preferences and Online Backup preferences.

Thank you Ex_Brit for your suggestion.

<Begin rant.> Had I tried the steps above first, I guess would have saved alot of time. No thanks to McAfee support. Why the program was not working, no error message, no logged messages, and no explanation., just another nail in the coffin of Microsoft Windows "ecosystem" of buggy software. McAfee Tier 2 did call back, but since I had handled this on my own, I declined their help.<End rant.>

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community