Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PocketPixie
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Chocolatey Installation Denied!

Jump to solution

Hello McAfee community,

I'm having another 'access denied' issue but this time signature as a trojan for a false positive for Chocolately!

The official website is here: https://chocolatey.org/

I was able to install the old version of chocolately on another machine but now when I attempt to install it on a new machine Mcafee blocks it as a malicious script!

What is going on with McAfee? It seems that ANY script-related application that is ran as an installation or .exe file in the CLI is blocked now! How do I make an exception for Chocolately to run?

These false positives are very annoying. McAfee please update your virus and fire-wall protections to NOT include legitimate software like chocolately!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Re: Chocolatey Installation Denied!

Jump to solution

You can submit the file as a false positive

How to submit virus samples and false positives to McAfee

In the meantime you can see if excluding the file will help. Note that this will not stop scanning detecting it only running the file ie on demand

Exclusion in in the real time scanning properties

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

You can submit the file as a false positive

How to submit virus samples and false positives to McAfee

In the meantime you can see if excluding the file will help. Note that this will not stop scanning detecting it only running the file ie on demand

Exclusion in in the real time scanning properties

PocketPixie
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

I have turned off real-time protection and the firewall in order to execute the file.

It is now on my system and I can install Gradle, which I needed Chocolately for.

I've also submitted a false positive to McAfee in concerns for the installation of Chocolately. Hopefully they will respond and update their database to not include Chocolately scripts as malicious trojans. 

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Just t be sure did you get a reply back with a number. You should get an immediate reply if you did the submission correctly.

PocketPixie
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

I did get an automatic email reply in concern of Chocolately installation.

I'm not sure whats been going on with the product but McAfee has been giving me trouble in terms of taking legit programs and interpreting them as existing viruses or trojans.

I may switch back to my previous anti-virus company if this continues to happen. I recall the last version of McAfee in 2019 didn't have these issues, so the newer version has some kinks in it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community