Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 11 of 15

Re: Cant open security center

kilawok wrote:

I do not use Mozilla Firefox.  I do occasionally use Chrome to access my email at Optimum.net because I am sick IE's popup asking whether I only want to download secure information or to download all content, followed by a second popup about refreshing the information to be sent.

McAfee does prompt to restart after updating, though it usually prompts on it's own.  This message I am complaining about only comes up when I try to access Security Center, and every time I try to access Security Center. When I stated "5 restarts in a row" I meant that I turned the computer on, went to access security center, got the message, rebooted, went to access security center, got error message, rebooted...rebooted 3 more times...decided it wasn't just an issue of my being behind on the updates, and started looking for a solution.

The fact that neither MVT Installer nor the file fix worked after following the instructions as described on McAfee's site has me a bit worried that something else is up.  Though I was avoiding it, I think I will have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.

Hi kilawok,

Each has their own way of uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee. Don't use Programs and Features to remove McAfee, but use the McAfee Clean Tool, which seems to do a good job.

Reboot the computer.

I use TuneUp Utilities to clean the Windows Registry prior to reinstalling McAfee. The latest is version 2012. It comes with a 15-day Full Version Trial. http://www.tune-up.com/

Run it and reboot, prior to reinstalling McAfee.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 15

Cautionary note:  if you fail to use the normal uninstall method first (Control Panel etc.) your online account will not be adjusted to reflect the change and may refuse to allow another installation depending on your license.

I also wouldn't recommend any kind of registry cleaners, tuners etc. as from experience I've found they cause malfunctions in McAfee software and even in Windows itself.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 13 of 15

Ex_Brit wrote:

Cautionary note:  if you fail to use the normal uninstall method first (Control Panel etc.) your online account will not be adjusted to reflect the change and may refuse to allow another installation depending on your license.

I also wouldn't recommend any kind of registry cleaners, tuners etc. as from experience I've found they cause malfunctions in McAfee software and even in Windows itself.

Hi Ex_Brit,

Has the problem of removing McAfee going through the Programs and Features where it had wiped out My Documents Folder, been fixed? That's why I have been suggesting the Clean Tool over Programs and Features.

Also, yet, McAfee has a Registry Cleaner built into McAfee Total Protection .

But you are right about Registry Cleaners, if the customer has more than one and using one after another one. You just need one.

klauzser
Contributor
Message 14 of 15

For all I know, McAfee does have a utility tools to do this, right? Where can I check on it?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 15

To do what?  The removal tool is in Technical Support FAQ's - just search for MCPR or click the link under Useful Links above.  Best to always try the normal uninstall method first though. 

@thecreator, yes that was fixed ages ago.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community