Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilawok
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Cant open security center

Windows 7 OS

I can not open Security Center. I get the message "updates for your Mcafee products were installed.  Restart your PC to complete the update."  After 5 restarts in a row, I still get that message.  When trying to troubleshoot this issue, I came across MVTinstaller.  The installation program crashes during the "installing McAfee Virtual Technician" prompt on the installation indicator screen.  I get the Windows 7 window "McAfee Virtual Technician installer has stopped working.  Windows can check online for a solution to the problem."  It finds none.  With further digging I came across TS100430 in the McAfee support page.  the issue describes the exact problem I am having, but while installing the download from that page, I get the following message:

HKey_local_machine\software\McAfee\Volatile\Msc

HKey_local_machine\software\McAfee\Volatile\ReboofFlag

Error:Access is denied

Please restart the computer

Press any key to continue.   .   .   .

What must I do to get things working properly again?

Any help is appreciated

14 Replies
klauzser
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Cant open security center

Try reinstalling the software. That's why I did and everything just went normal.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 15

Agreed that is a good 1st step but ensure you do it this way

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account

Ensure any other AVs are uninstalled via their own removal tools.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

When you tried TS100430 did you do exactly as the article says, right-click and 'Run as Administrator'?

kilawok
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Yes I did.  Right click on the icon and select "run as administrator."

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

I think you are best advised to open a case with Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's a free phone call or online chat.   Tell them you tried that TS100430 fix.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 7 of 15

kilawok wrote:

Windows 7 OS

I can not open Security Center. I get the message "updates for your Mcafee products were installed.  Restart your PC to complete the update."  After 5 restarts in a row, I still get that message.  When trying to troubleshoot this issue, I came across MVTinstaller.  The installation program crashes during the "installing McAfee Virtual Technician" prompt on the installation indicator screen.  I get the Windows 7 window "McAfee Virtual Technician installer has stopped working.  Windows can check online for a solution to the problem."  It finds none.  With further digging I came across TS100430 in the McAfee support page.  the issue describes the exact problem I am having, but while installing the download from that page, I get the following message:

HKey_local_machine\software\McAfee\Volatile\Msc

HKey_local_machine\software\McAfee\Volatile\ReboofFlag

Error:Access is denied

Please restart the computer

Press any key to continue.   .   .   .

What must I do to get things working properly again?

Any help is appreciated

Hi kilawok,

What is your Windows 7 version? What Bit? Service Pack?

Do you perform regular maintenance on your computer?

Did you save the downloaded file fix to your Desktop? You don't run the fix from the page. You run the fix from the Desktop.

knsingh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 15

Hi Kilawok

If I understad after every update McAfee gives a message, asking you to restart the computer.

Please follow the below steps,

1. Check If you have Mozilla Firefox in your computer, If yes Please Uninstall Firefox and remove Left over folders from C:\ProgramFiles.

2. If you had Mozilla Firefox Installed Earlier and not now, In this senario Advice you to Install Latest Version of Mozilla Firefox and follow the step1.

or you May Try

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Components and rename the file Scriptff.dll  to Scriptff_bad.dll and restart  the PC.

Thanks and Regards,

Kriz

Message was edited by: knsingh on 2/28/12 1:34:20 PM CST
kilawok
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

Windows 64 bit, I believe I have updated to SP1.  I am not at home so I can not call up the information at the moment. 

As for regular maintenance, I have the computer set to automatically download important and critical updates from Microsoft; automatically check for updates from McAfee; and at least every two months check audio/video/peripherial driver updates.  I've stopped checking mobo updates since it is old and MSI hasn't provided an update in over a year.  I also clean the tower regularly since it does like to attract dust and run defragmenter and other MS tools at least 2X a year but have not had a problem with them.

I did have an issue with a Microsoft update originally downloaded on  Feb 15th where I had to do a system restore, but there was no problem with Mcafee at that point, (after restore).

Finally, I did download the file fix to my desktop and accessed it from there, with the error message in my original post being the result.

kilawok
Former Member
Message 10 of 15

I do not use Mozilla Firefox.  I do occasionally use Chrome to access my email at Optimum.net because I am sick IE's popup asking whether I only want to download secure information or to download all content, followed by a second popup about refreshing the information to be sent.

McAfee does prompt to restart after updating, though it usually prompts on it's own.  This message I am complaining about only comes up when I try to access Security Center, and every time I try to access Security Center. When I stated "5 restarts in a row" I meant that I turned the computer on, went to access security center, got the message, rebooted, went to access security center, got error message, rebooted...rebooted 3 more times...decided it wasn't just an issue of my being behind on the updates, and started looking for a solution.

The fact that neither MVT Installer nor the file fix worked after following the instructions as described on McAfee's site has me a bit worried that something else is up.  Though I was avoiding it, I think I will have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community