cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartyD
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Cannot access shared printers or files

I installed SC 2009 and right away I could not share my printer or files.
I have Mcafee installed on my desktop. On that desktop is my printer and my files. I also have 2 laptops from work and my wife's that we are not allowed to install any new programs or disable firewalls. I need to print from my laptop and get files.
In Manage Network, I cannot Manage this Computer (no option to do so).
I have trusted the entire range of IP's on my home network.
Help?
8 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

RE: Cannot access shared printers or files

Now...
first thing to be ensured is that the printer is connected to a trusted computer
if it is you must be able to see that on the map (provided you have same McAfee suite on all other computers
try this first and then proceed...
MartyD
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Of course the printer is attached.....and the folder with the files is still shared out as before with no changes at all.
I cannot install Mcafee on my WORK LAPTOP that is on the same network because I do not own it, work does.
I just installed my second licence on my KID'S DESKTOP and everything works perfectly. I can see the second desktop on the map, it can get to the shared files, and print just as before.
Seems to me that MCafee does not like other PC's on the same network that do not also have Mcafee installed.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

We are getting closer to some answers.. I will now leave it to Arun our Developer....
apullat
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

We need some information

I need to clarify a few terms in your post - when you refer to sharing files and printers, did you make use of the Windows file sharing mechanism, or McAfee Easy Network? Using easy network, you can easily make use of remote files and printers, as long as both these Machines have McAfee installed.

In your case, I understand you have an office PC (without McAfee) that wishes to access the files and printer shared by your desktop PC (which does have McAfee installed). On this Desktop PC, you have trusted all the IP addresses on your network as well - so frankly you've done everything that needs to be done and ideally you should have no issues accessing your Desktop PC from the Office laptop. To see if this is due to the firewall, turn off the firewall on the Desktop machine, and try again - see if this succeeds.

With regard to managing the network, the Manage this computer link appears only for remote McAfee installed PCs. It is used to show the security status of that machine, and fix issues when they pop up. This isn't a question of "not liking" PCs without McAfee installed - it is simply a matter of not being able to manage them without the presence of McAfee on them.

Finally, I'd like to know if you were ever able to print documents from your office laptop on your Desktop printer - even before McAfee was installed on the Desktop. If not, this looks like a firewall constraint on the work laptops side.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

RE: We need some information

Office PC....

Normally all Office PC has good Enterprise Edition of an Anti-virus or a corporate firewall or Administrative software on it:confused:
markf_2748
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I have a very similar problem with the following home wireless network, where all three computers are in the same Windows XP SP3 Workgroup:

PC1: Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0; Printer 1 (old HP LaserJet 4) local to PC1.

PC2: McAfee Security Center 9.0, Virus Scan 13.0, Personal Firewall 10.0; Printer 2 (HP Photosmart 7350) local to PC2.

Laptop: McAfee Security Center 8.1, Virus Scan 12.1, Personal Firewall 9.1; no printer.

I want to share files and printers using Win XP native sharing and not McAfee Easy Network. The network sharing worked fine for months, but this week I find:

PC2 and Laptop can share files from PC1 and share Printer 1.
PC1 and Laptop CANNOT share files from PC2 and CANNOT share Printer 2.

I turned off McAfee Personal Firewall 10.0 on PC2 and turned on Windows Firewall instead.
Suddenly PC1 and Laptop can share files from PC2 and can share Printer 2. I experience only occasional dropouts in the share every few hours.
This sharing fails as soon as I turn on McAfee Personal Firewall on PC2.

Also note that PC2 is the only machine which is running FireFox browser as well as Internet Explorer and that FireFox was updated this week. I will remove FireFox and see if it makes any difference.

But meanwhile, why does McAfee Personal Firewall (possibly in combination with latest FireFox) apparently cause native Win XP SP3 file and printer sharing to fail?

Thanks for any insight.
markf_2748
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

File and Printer Sharing now working with McAfee ...

My Win XP File and Printer Sharing in the above-described 3-computer wireless home network are now working when McAfee Personal Firewall 10.0 on PC2 has the following settings:

Internet & Network Configuration > Firewall protection is enabled (ON) > Advanced > System Services > Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS) Ports 137-139 (checked) > Edit > Open port to a computer or network that is: "Standard (includes Trusted)".

If the last radio button is set to "Standard (includes Trusted)", then the sharing works as long as the range of addresses listed in Internet & Network Configuration > Firewall protection is enabled (ON) > Advanced > Networks > is set to Trusted, i.e. If the router is dynamically allocating a set of IP addresses for the network, then that range of addresses should be set here to Trusted [this was mentioned in MartyD's opening post].

If some addresses are set to Public (no longer the case in my network), then the Open port setting would have to be changed to "Trusted, Standard, and Public". The source of my network problem was a mismatch in these settings.

Also, the sharing works with the latest version of FireFox installed as an alternate browser to Internet Explorer 7 on PC2.

Conclusion: McAfee works for me with Win XP sharing in a mixed Security environment.
MartyD
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

RE: File and Printer Sharing now working with McAfee ...

Hey it works!
Thanks a lot
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community