cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgowright
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Can u tell me how to stop McAfee from auto-running, even after manually turning this feature OFF?

McAfee is the SecurityCenter program that is attached to my Cox Internet Service, in Las Vegas, NV.  I choose to run the "scans" and "update" features when finished with my computer session.  I set the config to run once, next year.  I turned the auto-update OFF.  Now, each time I begin a new computer session, in what seems like five, or so, minutes, McAfee starts running the update check.  I have turned this feature OFF, and here it is automatically running. (My computer slows to molassas when update runs.)  The only way I can shut the thing down, is to turn off the entire computer.  I imagine there is a hidden switch that I can't reach.   Occationally, the "Scan" feature also starts up, without my direction.  Can I change this, or should I go with another Internet Security service?

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can u tell me how to stop McAfee from auto-running, even after manually turning this feature OFF?

Updates occur daily so if you've turned them off you have to at least check once a day manually or else SecurityCenter thinks it is out of date and will force the issue or at least send up a warning.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/01/10 7:52:33 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community