cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palomino1935
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Can't wirelessly get McAfee data

I don't believe I had the problem before the latest update of Security Center. I am now on vers. 9.3 My desktop PC works fine.
I was having a problem where my dat file was no longer valid. Whenever the automatic update ran, it ended with an error message: "An error has occurred in the update. Please reinstall 7-(?) McAfee Virus Scan Plus". I can't remember the word where the question mark is located. I get the same message if I try to manual start an update. If I try to run McAfee Virtual Technician, it tells me that my Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
I have discovered that if I hook up my laptop with an ethernet calbe to the router and turn off wireless mode. I can do everything just as I am able to do with my desktop. Everything hooks up and performs as designed.
I have two wireless sources and in wireless mode, they both fail.
The laptop running in wireless mode has no trouble hooking up with any of the other sites I visit on the internet.
Is there something special about using McAfee Security Center on a wireless laptop?
Any help would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
6 Replies
palomino1935
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

RE: Can't wirelessly get McAfee data

Oh well, I fixed my own problem.
Apparently after my laptop had got a malware about 3 1/2 weeks ago, it apparently went in and changed my TCP/IP property settings to 2 distinct DSN's. I reset it back to "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Glad it's OK now. To be on the safe side run either or both of the free versions of these two tools:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
palomino1935
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Ex_Brit,

Thanks for the heads-up on the follow up program scans. I just finished the MalWarebytes' and it found 11 instances of the trojan trail. It looks like McAfee's Stinger didn't do a complete job. It is always hard to tell what Stinger does, because he doesn't show anything for results. Stinger did get me going, though.

The registry had the data bytes of what I found the "preferred and alternate DNS's" set at. Apparently they were what were keeping me from getting to malware, antivirus and antispyware programs when I first got the bug.

I will be letting the Superantispyware run while I sleep tonight.

Thanks again for the come-back.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Stinger is really a dumbed-down version of VirusScan designed to tackle certain infections only. Let me know how things are.
palomino1935
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

When I got the 11 hits with Malwarebytes, I had only ran the quick scan. This morning I ran Superantispyware and it found 537 cookie items in docs, so I ignored those. I then reran Malwarebytes full scan and did not find anything else. It did indicate a "PUP" with one of my code-breaker programs, so I ignored that also. I believe I'm OK now.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

OK, good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community