cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 11 of 23

Re: Can't update: MVT log inaccuracy

*sigh* I was hoping for anything but that.

Last time I used them was a couple years ago, when I changed from using NAV & the McAfee firewall, to using the entire McAfee secuirty suite, and had problems with the installation.

Tech #1: "you have Norton remnants."  No, I didn't.  Used their removal tool & uninstalled all things Symantec, even the things which had nothing to do with NAV.  Followed it up with seach & delete in both C drive and Registry.  I had also uninstalled & deleted all McAfee products prior to the install, so I could have a clean install.

Tech #1: "you have a virus. Here is the link for McAfee Virus removal for a fee".

No. No virus here.  Before uninstalling NAV, I did a thorough scan, with up to date DAT.  There was also a preliminary quick scan which McAfee does befre installing.  No virus on my computer.  I told him this, and he abrupty ended the session.

Tech #2: "uninstall & reinstall".

I told him I had already done this twice, before each time painstakingly removing all traces of the prior installation, describing thew actions, above.  Many reboots, which take time due to the 512 MB RAM.  Isn't it a form of insanity, doing the same thing over & over, but expecting different results?

Tech #2 "uninstal & reinstall.  That is all I can tell you".  Session ended.

It took 2 more uninstalls & reinstalls, and the hours between 10pm and 4am, before I finally got the bare minimum of antivirus and the firewall working after a fashion.  I never was able to get any logs from the firewall, and forget the anti-spam.  But the antivirus & firewall worked fine until this newest incarnation.

Going to the tech support is up there with quitting smoking & coffee, cold turkey.  But thank you for your help anyway.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 23

I was going to suggest posting in a certain thread but I see you've already done that.  Maybe it'll bring results.

Raghavendra
Former Member
Message 13 of 23

Hi Sam,

Could you please check if there is any entry for mcafee.com in, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, file?

thanks

Raghavendra

sam8988378
Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Yes there is.  As a matter of fact, it looks like the host graveyard/social club:

Many hosts.JPG

Raghavendra
Former Member
Message 15 of 23

It looks like something is wrong with your HOSTS file. Did you ever changed anything in that? If possible, could you please attach or paste the entries in HOSTS file?

regards

Raghavendra

sam8988378
Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Don't think I've been doing anything with the hosts file for many years.  I'm attaching it, but the only entry in the file is the local host address.

Raghavendra
Former Member
Message 17 of 23

Could you please zip the files from, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS\MISP\mcupdmgr, and attach for further analysis?

thanks

Raghavendra

sam8988378
Contributor
Message 18 of 23

The logs from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS\MISP\mcupdmgr are attached.  Thank you!

Raghavendra
Former Member
Message 19 of 23

It looks like a MSC issue and is not an MVT problem.

ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 20 of 23

I've moved this to SecurityCenter area. An expert will help you soon.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community