Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray_C
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Can't install VirusScan from AT&T

Hello,

I'm trying to download the current AT&T Internet Security Suite which includes VirusScan (I don't know which version of VirusScan though). The Suite installs just fine except for VirusScan. I've tried three times unsuccessfully. The Suite was uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results.

There are no other security software packages on my PC except for SpywareBlaster which I turned off during download and installation phases. Should I uninstall SpywareBlaster and try reinstalling the Suite ?

I use Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 3 with all the latest updates. My browser is IE, version 7.0. Pop-up blocker is disabled in accordance with installation instructions. Windows Firewall was also disabled for the same reason.

How should I proceed ?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
Labels (2)
3 Replies
Ray_C
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

RE: Can't install VirusScan from AT&T

OK, I removed Spyware Blater and just tried reinstalling McAfee Security Suite. The VirusScan Plus still refuses to install. And now I keep getting pop-up boxes asking me to 'debug' whenever I download the Suite.

BTW, I have 2 log files from a scan performed by Virtual Technician that I can send to someone. They show that I have a lot of 'missing files'. Would these logs help diagnose my problem ?

Ray
Ray_C
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Problem Solved

My problem is solved.

I had to spend hours with AT&T Tech Support over the phone but everything works now, especially VirusScan.

My main problem was that I couldn't use the McAfee Removal Tool because it detected "Enterprise" version software, which it isn't designed to remove it for some reason.

But the Techs linked me to a different McAfee Removal Tool here : us.mcafee.com/root/mcpr2.exe

After I ran the Removal Tool it was successful in ridding all my old McAfee files.
Then I rebooted in 'Safe Mode', checked around for any old third-party security software products still laying around. None were there. Then I deleted some 'temp' files by accessing the 'run' bar on the Start menu, typing in 'temp'. After deleting those files in that folder I again went to the 'run' bar and typed in "%temp%" and deleted the files in that folder as well.

Finally, while still in 'Safe Mode', I downloaded the AT&T Security Suite and installed all the components without a hitch. Rebooted in normal mode and here I am.

I guess no one here knew how to fix my problem since it was so particular to my computer. But thanks to any moderators who read my posts and did their best to try and solve my problem. happy

Bye now.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

RE: Problem Solved

Ray glad your problem is solved. I was about to suggest scanning for malware using one or two tools anyway, as the most likely reason for VirusScan not installing was malware. The other would have been remnants of another anti-virus being present.

Anyway, glad you are OK. This forum is manned by volunteers for the most part so forgive us if we don't reach everyone immediately.

FYI we keep a section for recommended anti-spyware tools that you can use in addition to McAfee: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community