Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abvi
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Can't install McAfee - receive debugger

Jump to solution

I can't re-install McAfee after a system re-installation.  After downloading the exe file and clicking I see a message indicating that a download is about to begin.  But then ther is a message headed "Just-In Time Debugger" asking me to select a debugger and offering "new instance of Microsoft Script Editor". If I click yes, then I am taken to the script editor with a box headed "Step into remote procedure call". If I click OK then it continues to debug but nothing seems to actually happen.

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 5150.

Please let me know how I can get McAffe to run, which is paid up until June 2012.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can't install McAfee - receive debugger

Jump to solution

Script debugging can be stopped in Internet Explorer.

From an old thread:

You can stop the JITD window from popping up by disabling script debugging in Internet Explorer:
-> Tools
-> Internet Options
-> tab: Advanced
-> in the list, under Browsing, check the box "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)"

-> also check "Disable Script Debugging (Other)
-> click Apply, and OK

You may also want to uncheck the box "Display a notification of every script error".

If  you have Visual Studio (or Compaq Visual Fortran) installed, you can   turn off the JITD feature in general. Open Developer Studio, select   Tools, Options, Debug. Then uncheck the "Enable Just-In-Time Debugging"   box and click OK.

You may also want to double-check that Windows is totally up to date using the Custom option so you get updates for everything using Microsoft Updates rather than the old Windows Update.  You should be at least at XP SP3, if not see HERE.

Also make sure that you have the latest Java engine installed from here: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp and uninstall any older version in the normal manner through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

After you've done that use the McAfee removal tool, reboot and try the installation again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/11/10 8:51:15 CST PM

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Script debugging can be stopped in Internet Explorer.

From an old thread:

You can stop the JITD window from popping up by disabling script debugging in Internet Explorer:
-> Tools
-> Internet Options
-> tab: Advanced
-> in the list, under Browsing, check the box "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)"

-> also check "Disable Script Debugging (Other)
-> click Apply, and OK

You may also want to uncheck the box "Display a notification of every script error".

If  you have Visual Studio (or Compaq Visual Fortran) installed, you can   turn off the JITD feature in general. Open Developer Studio, select   Tools, Options, Debug. Then uncheck the "Enable Just-In-Time Debugging"   box and click OK.

You may also want to double-check that Windows is totally up to date using the Custom option so you get updates for everything using Microsoft Updates rather than the old Windows Update.  You should be at least at XP SP3, if not see HERE.

Also make sure that you have the latest Java engine installed from here: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp and uninstall any older version in the normal manner through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

After you've done that use the McAfee removal tool, reboot and try the installation again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/11/10 8:51:15 CST PM
abvi
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thank you very much Peter.  I did as you suggested and now McAfee is installed. Hurray!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

That's great, good luck!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/11/10 7:55:53 CST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community