cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midge001
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Can't Reinstall McAfee - Download error:12029 - HELP!!

Hi there, I've been having problems reinstalling my McAfee security center. I'm running the 'DMSetup.exe' but it crashes and gives me the download error:12029 message.
Just to let you know that there's no other anti-virus software on my machine etc. and the windows firewall is disabled during reinstallation.
I've also been through various forums and have removed all temp & McAfee files.
Nothing works. This is really starting to get to me:mad:. This all used to work perfectly until I had to reinstall my operating system.
Any help would be much appreciated, this is very frustrating.
Thanks
6 Replies
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

RE: Can't Reinstall McAfee - Download error:12029 - HELP!!

This is a network connection error. There is hardly anything that we can do from our side.

Any way to check let us know if you are using any proxy connection to access internet.
midge001
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

RE: Can't Reinstall McAfee - Download error:12029 - HELP!!

Hi thanks for the response, my connection is quite often crappy. I used to play a bit online and I've seen it be very slow, also with my xbox 360. I'm with aol.
No I don't use a proxy connection, I just connect normally through my router.
I did manage to get it to work before after I reinstalled my 'os' but it was having trouble updating and said to reinstall the security center, now I can't get it back.
I'm assuming no you've said it a connection thing that I'll have to keep trying and wait till internet traffic quietens down a bit.
If there are any suggestions that you could make I would be most grateful.
alanclother
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

12029 problem solved for me

I could not get McAfee to install due to a 12029 error. I had recently gotten the tinyproxy.exe virus and taken care of it, but the virus had changed my settings to "proxy."

Under my browser tools/options/advanced/settings I reset it to "no proxy" right away as a part of the clean up but I missed the one under the control panel. I fought off and on for weeks until this morning I was digging around and found the other place I needed to correct:

Under control panel/internet options/connections/lan settings I unchecked proxy server.

And McAfee loaded up fine. Whew. I hope this helps someone out there!
midge001
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

RE: 12029 problem solved for me

Hi alanclother, thanks for the reply. I did have a look at what you suggested but my settings were already correct. I did manage to get security center installed but it won't update. Total nightmare.
Thanks again,
midge
skhan1090
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Alan's advice worked for me

Thankyou soooooo much Alan. It helped me!!!
I've got mcafee to download! Wohoo!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

RE: Alan's advice worked for me

Glad it helped. Locking thread as it's 7 months old.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community