cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvcat
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Can someone confirm if my virus scan is being updated, but it's just not showing in Security report section?

Jump to solution

Hello!

My computer installed the McAfee Anti virus Plus Select Edition on 2-22-11. Security center version 10.5. Everything went fine, changed icon, everything in protected state. Auto update is on, I changed the scheduled scan from fri to tue. It appeared to be updating the same as the old security ctr. The icon has a tiny circle, my browsing slows, same as before. Only when I put my mouse over the icon it says updating but always has 0%.

I did a manual update this morning, looked at security report had last update 3-1 6:52am- Number updates 0.

It had last scan-no activity and all zeros but the scheduled scan wasn't until today. Nothing showed in buffer overflow and I know i had a buffer overrun on 2-28. I never saw that message before. It threw me out of Moz Firefox. I ran malwarebytes after-nothing. While looking for the security center version under McAfee Resources- about - I noticed it has McAfee virus scan last update 2-28 Dat version 6270, Dat creation 2-27. I decided to wait to see if does the scheduled scan.

It did the scheduled scan, and it did an update. Little circle still saying 0% on the update on mouse point.

The Security report  still has last update my manual one 3-1 6:52 am -number of updates 0- Scan report 0, full scan 0, total items scanned 0

McAfee Resources-About - said Virus scan last update 3-1, Dat version 6271, date creation date 2-28.

I've searched the forums for an answers found a few posts that were similar but very old and the only thing I got was to run virtual tech which I forgot I had. If there is a place where people with similar issue had the solution posted please let me know.

Am I protected with the lastest update even though its not showing in reports?

Is there a solution to the reports section not showing updates, scans?

ran Malwarebytes full scan - nothing found

ran virtual tech - no problems found- Session ID 3124712

windows xp sp3

IE7

Mozilla firefox

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Re: Can someone confirm if my virus scan is being updated, but it's just not showing in Security report section?

Jump to solution

There could be three problems

1. May be your computer is not up to date

2. Another Third-Parrty software mainly Norton blocking McAfee to get its update

3. Else IE7 might be corrupted, since McAfee relies on Internet Explorer

Make sure your computer date and time is uptodate

If you have any other Thirdy party software on your computer please remove it from Add or Remove Programs

Check wether your Windows Xp is upto Date, can check the status please visit http://update.windows.com

* if you find any updates please goahead and install all the updates and restart the computer

Check for McAfee updates manually by right clicking on the McAfee icon right next to the time and select ---- check for updates

If every thing works fine its well and good if not please provide these details below

On IE7 go to help select  About Internet Exoplorer and find out the Cipher Strength -

Find the Virus Scan Version and the DAT Version

Do you have any other download problem on this computer

Do you suspect that ther could be some infection on the computer, are you gettin any unwanted pop on ytour computer

Please fill the information above if the issue is not resolved the latest DAT Version is 03.03.2011 6274xdat.exe 

Regards

Jerry

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can someone confirm if my virus scan is being updated, but it's just not showing in Security report section?

Jump to solution

Hi tvcat,

Please run the McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com as MVT is an automated self-healing tool. It is capable of identifying and fixing many common issues with your McAfee products. Please provide us with the session id no for MVT so that we can check for additional reports if any problem found.

Also, let us know how is your computer connected to internet ? dsl/wireless/cable

Regards,

tvcat
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I knew I forgot something. Internet connect - dsl

also have windows defender (with firewall off)

Ran from that site - went through same process again. Sign software agreement again, etc.

Found 1 problem. Dat out of date was 6271 to 6272

Session ID 31255006

Opened the Security Center - updates in progress- (circle going around)

view update progress - 0%

had green check -checking for updates

had green check -downloaded updates

(o) installing updates 0% complete

LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

There could be three problems

1. May be your computer is not up to date

2. Another Third-Parrty software mainly Norton blocking McAfee to get its update

3. Else IE7 might be corrupted, since McAfee relies on Internet Explorer

Make sure your computer date and time is uptodate

If you have any other Thirdy party software on your computer please remove it from Add or Remove Programs

Check wether your Windows Xp is upto Date, can check the status please visit http://update.windows.com

* if you find any updates please goahead and install all the updates and restart the computer

Check for McAfee updates manually by right clicking on the McAfee icon right next to the time and select ---- check for updates

If every thing works fine its well and good if not please provide these details below

On IE7 go to help select  About Internet Exoplorer and find out the Cipher Strength -

Find the Virus Scan Version and the DAT Version

Do you have any other download problem on this computer

Do you suspect that ther could be some infection on the computer, are you gettin any unwanted pop on ytour computer

Please fill the information above if the issue is not resolved the latest DAT Version is 03.03.2011 6274xdat.exe 

Regards

Jerry

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

just a thought, it may also help to update to Internet Explorer 8 - safer and more secure apart from more features.

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi tvcat, You are not the only one with this problem.I have had the same type of problem.Mcafee will never update on it`s own.Unless maybe if I leave my computer on over night.Which I will not do.As you can see here my dat has not updated for a few days.Strange but Mcafee virtual tech only says my site advisor  still needs update.But says nothing about dat not being up to date.Anyway just thought I would let you know this is not a random incident.As I have posted about this before.Last I heard they were going to bring it up.But have not heard anything new.Here is my log.I have almost the same as you 6271.Also my percentage rolls up when downloading,but stays at zero when updating.

mc virtual.JPG

tvcat
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Can someone confirm if my virus scan is being updated, but it's just not showing in Security report section?

Jump to solution

I checked yesterday when I saw your post and the Dat was 6274 at the time and has since changed to 6275, so I am getting the updates which was my main concern. It  shows up a little flukey in Security Report apparently.

About says last update 3-4 Create date 3-4 6275

in Security Report says-last update 3-2 10:30 Number updates 0

I did a custom scan to see if it showed and it does show up in Security Report Scan Report section. 1 custom, items scanned 91,866

So the full scheduled scan  and number of updates doesnt tally and the date is a bit behind and the % doesn't move. I can live with it if that's all its doing.

The cipher strength said 128 bit.

I didn't update to IE8 before this because I don't use it and I wasn't sure if I should. I only have 256mb of ram.  System specs for IE7 & IE8 both say memory 64mb. Should I be ok then?

thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

I would still update to IE8 as some applications, including SecurityCenter rely on it.

I agree that Security Repoort is rather strange.

Try running the Virtual Technician  - see if that corrects anything.

http://mvt.mcafee.com

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community