cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virushater
Former Member
Message 11 of 17

Re: CAN'T CONDUCT MANUAL SCAN OR INSTALL VIRTUAL SCAN

I am having he same problems - real time keeps turning itself off and I cannot run a manual scan.  It was suggested to remove any of my spyware  or malware, which I did and I still have the problem.  I ran the tool and a cmd box just comes up and the cursor blinks but nothing happens.  The virtual technician is no help.  I canot afford to lose my data and I also cannot afford the outrageous price that Mcafee wants to charge me to remove any virus they think i may have.  I paid good moneyt o have the total protection and it failed.  Can someone please identify this problem and help us get our computers back in good standing.  Please.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 12 of 17

Hi hardpan,

Please follow the below steps ;

Open Internet explorer, click tools - click Internet options

Click Advanced tab - Click Reset

Close all programs and restart the computer

Then try to tun a scan from mcafee, update me with the status

And for virushater,

Can you please provide me some additional information on this like;

What is the operating system of the computer ?

What is the version of your internet explorer ?
How old is the computer ?

Please revert back with these information so that we could proceed further on this.

hardpan
Former Member
Message 13 of 17

Hi  Dinz.

I Appreciate your help very much!!

Followed your directions to Reset-Close-Restart Internet Explorer. However when I returned to Mcafee home page I got the same result for both the quick and full scans.

Home page indicates that RealTime Scanning is "ON"---When I ran the scans (twice) both produced the same pop-up screen; "AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED, Please click OK to go back to the home page and try running your scan again.

Also tried Virtual Technician, with same (old) result--would download but would not install.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Phil

arunkn1
Former Member
Message 14 of 17

Hi Hardpan,

let me know if you have performed a clean installation (Removed old McAfee and installed the new one)

If so please try this steps one by one

1)reset IE

2)Run IEregfix( Click Here )

3)Run Mcpreinstall tool( Click Here)

4)Restart your computer and try to perform the scan

If the scan still fails re-install McAfee

use McAfee Removal Tool (Click Here) to remove McAfee

re-install again and try to scan

regards

AKN

virushater
Former Member
Message 15 of 17

Looks like I resolved this finally.  What I did was turn off Mcaffee - or should I say - I let Mcafee stay off since it turned itself off. I completely uninstalled internet explorer.  Then I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware again - ran it and it found 53 issues which it removed.  I then was able to finally run my Macafee manual scan which then found 1 issue and removed it.  Now all is well.  Looks like Mcafee didnt detect these viruses and you need a malware or spyware software to get rid of whatever is causing this.

Figured I would offer this up to see if it works for anyone - beats paying a hefty fee to Mcafee to remove the virus

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 17

Virusscan has spyware/malware ability as well. But as I mentioned above these products are not always 100% coverage and there is sometimes a lag time for signatures to catch up.

virushater
Former Member
Message 17 of 17

I would still recommend another spyware/malware software because McAfee doesnt seem to be really good at that stuff and it was the only way to get rid of the malware.  It seems like any time malware or spyware enter the equation it shuts McAfee down so you cannot even use their software to kill it.  Having a back up software is the only way to avoid losing your stuff.  It worked for me so just throwing it out there.  Install one of those and run it - like I said it found 53 items - that is HUGE for McAfee to have missed.  Once those were gone I was able to then finally get McAfee to run a manual full scan and then it found 1 item that the spy software missed.  Now everythign is back to normal.  Also, I think uninstalling IE helped bc it seemed like the viruses were attached to that.  You can always reinstall - but I do not use IE I use Mozilla Firefox.  Anyway, just wanted to share.  I am really not happy with McAfee but I already paid for it and am stuff with it for now.  But this is the second time something like this has happened to two different computers where I had to use another software to fix it.  And the salt in the wound is McAfee then asking for money to fix it and remove the virus when they should do that for free if their product is not able to do it.

Just my opinion!  Thanks for the help!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community