cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardpan
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

CAN'T CONDUCT MANUAL SCAN OR INSTALL VIRTUAL TECHNICIAN

System Info--2002 Computer. New motherboard & processer (ADM 64X2 dual core 5200+) 75GB,  Windows XP/5.1/2600--SP3,  Internet Explorer8.0--Qwest DSL--Yahoo.

Recently "reinstalled" McAfee Total Protection, which now seems to be running & producing security reports & logs, however; it won't run either manual scan & when I try to tie into Virtual Technician its software won't install.

Scan Error Message--An unexpected problem has occurred during your scan. Please click OK to go back to home page and try running the scan again.

Virtual Technician Error Message--The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occue if Windows is running in Safe Mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed

Help---Many Thanks

Phil

Message was edited by: hardpan on 2/23/10 11:46:54 AM CST
16 Replies
user_135799
Former Member
Message 2 of 17

Re: CAN'T CONDUCT MANUAL SCAN OR INSTALL VIRTUAL SCAN

Hi,

Check the date and time, if it is not correct, correct it and restart the computer.

Open mcafee check the status, it says Am I protected?YES or Am I protected?No or Your Computer is Secure or Your Computer is at risk.

If it has Am I protected message click on about button get back to us with the versions

If it has Your Computer is Secure or Your Computer is at risk message click on navigation and click on about button get back to us with the versions

Note it it says Am I protected?No or Your Computer is at risk get back to us with the error message

We will proceed further with the issue.

hardpan
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

Hi

1.  Time & date are good (sinchronized)

2.   McAfee Status== Computer is secure (no action is required), next scheduled Scan date is 2/27/10, 4 am.

3.   McAfee "Total Protection" Version==2010 (was 2009). Purchased & installed 2009 version--3/21/09. Removed 2009 version & reinstalled the 2010 Version (per TS100507)--2/06/2010.

4.  McAfee TOTAL PROTECTION VERSIONS LISTED AS FOLLOWS; [ Feature/Version/Build/Last Update].

Security Center/10.0/10.0.569/2-6-10;  Virus Scan/14.0/14.0.306/2-6-10;  Firewall/11.0/11.0.378/2-6-10;  Site Advisor/3.0/3.0.1.164/2-21-10;  Anti Spam/11.0/11.0.261/2-21-10;  Parental Control/12.0/12.0.281/2-21-10;  Backup/2.0/2.0.231/2-6-10;  Quick Scam/10.0/10.0.240/2-6-10

Many Thanks

Phil

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 17

How much ram? You said 2002 PC so that seems to inply low ram?

Original hard disk? If so worth to run chkdsk c:\ /r from the command prompt. It with ask to reboot and do the scan next reboot.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/02/10 10:16:00 PM
hardpan
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

Hi,  Peacekeeper

RAM = 2 MB

HARD DISK = 74.5 GB,  41 GB free space

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 17

I assume ypou mean 2Gb ram 2 MB not possible.

Did you try the chkdsk?

hardpan
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

Hi again,

U R right it is 2 GB

The hard disk is the original!  Did run the disk check as U requested---No Problems Found !!

However, I did discover that;  All Windows Automatic Downloads have FAILED TO INSTALL in my computer since 01/26/2010. I was unsuccessful in my attempts to manually install them.

THANKS,   

Phil

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 17

See what Yoga has up his sleeve I would be checking for malware myself.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/02/10 12:14:12 PM
hardpan
Former Member
Message 9 of 17

Hi, YOGA  &  PEACEKEEPER

If possible I need detail directions on how to proceed.

I thought Mcafee would keep me out of this sort of trouble.

THANKS AGAIN

Phil

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 17

If it is a virus malware remember all scanners are not 100% coverage as new malware is coming out and there is a lag time.

I have asked Yoga to return and continue his assistance

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community