cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmacttx
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Spigot\Searchsettings.exe

McAfee security scan does not recognize Searchsetting.exe as malware.  Does anyone know how to remove it?  I have tried the normal routine of control panel=>add / remove programs => and it is not listed for removal.  Trying to delete the file I receive an error message that I do not have authority.  I am running windows vista 32bit (yes I know).  

3 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Spigot\Searchsettings.exe

It's the Widgi Toolbar, from Spigot Systems. That means you've allowed it to install at some point as part of a download (perhaps without realising). This is not considered to be dangerous, but not everyone wants it.

McAfee would have passed over it without comment because it's an item you've allowed onto your system. But if you want to remove it, and you can't uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs (and you're using Internet Explorer), I suggest first, try running Microsoft's FixIt program and selecting the option to fix IE problems. One of the things it does is to remove toolbars and add-ons that you don't want. While you're there you can run some of the others as well, for a basic check on your Windows setup.

If the Widgi toolbar isn't on the FixIt list of add-ons, download Malwarebytes free version and run that - it does at least (so others say) detect the toolbar and give you the option of removing it.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 4

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

... except that the link at the end of the article, to "Microsoft Support: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility", takes you instead to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290301, which is all about removing MS Office and informs you that

This article previously contained a link to the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe). If you were directed to this article to solve a problem installing a product other than Microsoft Office, please contact your software manufacturer for installation support on the product. Or, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for steps to troubleshoot uninstallation issues with products that use Windows Installer:

2438651  How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer

However I did find this : http://systemexplorer.net/filereviews.php?fid=365078

- which has a user response survey and a message from someone at Spigot on how to uninstall the toolbar.

searchsettings.exe.png

Review: Hi, my name is Cristi and I work for Spigot. I am here to provide information about how to uninstall the Spigot Toolbars and turn off mybrowserbar redirection, please take a look at the links below: http://www.spigot.com/uninstall.html http://www.spigot.com/network_error_assistant.html Please contact me from our website if you need more help. Thank you.

Message was edited by: Hayton - substituted quoted text for image, much clearer - on 28/07/11 01:12:50 IST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community