cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NotAGuru
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Blocking Intruders on Network

I have two unknown computers that are showing up on my network. I have blocked the IP address of one of them, but the other does not list an IP in the details, so I am unable to add it to the block list. Even though I have blocked the one, and I am using a WPA encrypted wireless router, these two computers keep showing up active. How can I get them off my network?
3 Replies
apullat
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: Blocking Intruders on Network

If you can't see the IP address of the second computer, you must be able to see its name on the network map (or the IP on the network map). Open the command prompt, try the ping command using the PCs name, and see if you're able to get the IP.

A better solution would be to change the WPA passphrase, and then check if these devices are still online. If they are, they may actually turn out to be something pretty harmless, like a set top box, a printer, or a remote network share.
NotAGuru
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Blocking Intruders on Network

OK - where do I find the command prompt?
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

RE: Blocking Intruders on Network

Click on start
select un
type CMD and hit enter if XP

else..( if vista)

click start and type CMD and runt he cmd.exe file
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community