Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 1 of 99

Automatic checking for updates at bootup stalls-W7

Jump to solution

Three of my four Lenovo computers have an issue associated with Total Protection’s check for updates at initial bootup.  All four computers run W7 Professional.  Three of the four impacted computers are 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.  The main computer has Build 14.0.4113.  I assume the others have that Build too.  Two of the three impacted computers have McAfee set to notify of the availability of updates and the third is set to install updates automatically.

The McAfee icon in the system tray has a gray circle normally associated with check for updates, but holding the cursor over the icon doesn’t provide an explanation of the situation as it usually does.  Clicking on the desktop icon to go to the main McAfee screen shows updates in progress. Entering the McAfee Updates section shows that updates are running.  Clicking to go to the detail screen always shows that checking for updates has not started.  However, once you arrive there the checking for updates, downloading and installing updates progresses normally.  The application seems to run normally otherwise on all the computers.  This has been occurring for about two weeks now.

What’s the deal?

Drek

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 77 of 99

Re: Automatic checking for updates at bootup stalls-W7

Jump to solution

Ex-Brit,

The McAfee SecurityCenter Build 14.0.5084 has been installing on my various machines since Saturday and, as advertised, the update stall at bootup is fixed.

Thanks.

Drek

View solution in original post

98 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 99

Jump to solution

This is a known issue and we are hoping for a patch soon.   I also am experiencing this in Windows 7.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 99

Jump to solution

Also in win 8.1 and the beta version of Mcafee. As Peter says they are fixing it.

user_6
Former Member
Message 4 of 99

Jump to solution

Hello,

have you any idea how long it will take?

Will  this patch change the version number of Security Center? (now 14.0.4113)

Thank you,

Jérôme

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 99

Jump to solution

I really have no idea I will ask in next Monday's call how this is going. Re version if we are told a build I will pass it on.

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 6 of 99

Jump to solution

This sounds similar to what I'm experiencing as well. The update icon will just spin for hours. I do a hover over and it says 100% complete but the UI says updating.

Today the hover over showed nothing and I could not open the UI by right click or through the start menu. Just never comes up. I went to services and many of the MC services status were blank showing neither started or stopped. A reboot took care of it.

I just did an mcpr and install of v4113 on 7/30 and have been having this since. I hope they get this dialed in soon so I don't have to worry about my protection.

K

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 99

Jump to solution

Korgman wrote:

This sounds similar to what I'm experiencing as well. The update icon will just spin for hours. I do a hover over and it says 100% complete but the UI says updating.

Today the hover over showed nothing and I could not open the UI by right click or through the start menu. Just never comes up. I went to services and many of the MC services status were blank showing neither started or stopped. A reboot took care of it.

I just did an mcpr and install of v4113 on 7/30 and have been having this since. I hope they get this dialed in soon so I don't have to worry about my protection.

K

This is a known issue and there's supposed to be a fix arriving soon.

user_6
Former Member
Message 8 of 99

Jump to solution

No news...

Good or bad news???

And always the same problem..

Regards,

Jérôme

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 99

Jump to solution

We were told fix will be tested in beta program group within a week and if QA'd ok will then move to general release soon after..

user_6
Former Member
Message 10 of 99

Jump to solution

Hello,

this morning an update to Security Center 14.0.4119... (4113 before)

Is this the patch for our problem?

I hope so!

Thank you

Jérôme

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community