Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 51 of 99

Re: Automatic checking for updates at bootup stalls-W7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply   Interesting....The most recent Version of McAfee Security Center is v14.0.4119.

Please keep us apprised.

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 52 of 99

Jump to solution

sbond wrote:

They never told me what they were installing and frankly I never would have thought to ask.  Out of curiosity I checked the build because I started wondering if they might have installed a build which is newer then the one I had (.4113) whose installation seems to have corresponded to the start of the problem. So I was shocked to see a 12.8 version.  I called back and was told that the tech who did the re-installation would be calling me back Saturday morning to see if this fixed the problem.  It really makes me wonder if they suspect something wrong with the newer 14.0 builds.  My system date and time has always been correct.

I have a feeling their intention there was that the 12.8 version would quickly update to the latest, probably at next reboot or at least by the next day.  They sometimes appear to be doing odd things but usually there's a logic being applied.  Anyway, time will tell.

sbond
Former Member
Message 53 of 99

Jump to solution

This last re-installation was the second time they did it.  The first time they only used Windows Control Panel uninstall and did not use the McAfee Tool and did not do a manual search of the registry to remove any remnants but also curiously the first time they installed the same version I originally had 14.0.4113, the one which displayed the problem. The program has just done an automatic update at 3:30 without my intervention and no hang up and it has upgraded itself to the newest version, 14.0.4119

sbond
Former Member
Message 54 of 99

Jump to solution

So just to be clear, the old version behaved properly and updated and upgraded itself automatically.  I now need to see if this newest version continues to update without hanging. It says that the next scheduled check for updates is 7:51 PM. So we will see what happens.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 55 of 99

Jump to solution

Let's hope it works OK.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 56 of 99

Jump to solution

sbond wrote:

So just to be clear, the old version behaved properly and updated and upgraded itself automatically.  I now need to see if this newest version continues to update without hanging. It says that the next scheduled check for updates is 7:51 PM. So we will see what happens.

I should point out if it hasn't been made clear earlier, just because the interface says it will check for updates, that is all that it means, it may not find any.  The software polls roughly every 4 hours for updates and some parts, such as WebAdvisor update silently without any indication appearing in the interface, except of course in the "About" tab.

astor
Contributor II
Message 57 of 99

Jump to solution

My 4113 version was updated to 4119 a few days ago.  I don't appear to get the blue dot issue anymore but I still have to disable AP to allow the installation of further updates.  When AP is enabled I get an installation error as per my post #33 in another thread titled "Total Protection not updating" -  link:

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 58 of 99

Jump to solution

Understood so we are still awaiting a fix for that.

astor
Contributor II
Message 59 of 99

Jump to solution

Also, I checked the version of the installation of the various components both prior to and after the update attempt, first with AP enabled then AP disabled.  I've now proven that the virus signatures are NOT updated when AP is enabled and only updated after disabling AP.  This means there is the potential of a lot of users out there who have out of date signature files without them realizing it.  This issue must be treated with the utmost priority and fixed ASAP.

sbond
Former Member
Message 60 of 99

Jump to solution

How can you determine that signature files have actually updated.  The "About" option in the LiveSafe Navigation Window does not state the dates of the signature files.  Where can I check this?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community