Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 41 of 99

Re: Re: Automatic checking for updates at bootup stalls-W7

Jump to solution

I'm just hoping that the fix for that spinning pseudo-update icon gets through to us soon.

I was lucky in that I had a choice of software - I've been using the watered-down version my ISP puts out rather than the full suite, and it doesn't seem to have any of these issues.

Yet..... 😉

drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 42 of 99

Re: Automatic checking for updates at bootup stalls-W7

Jump to solution

tzdvl,

The technical error message you received associated with attempted updates occurred for me some time ago and, at least for me and other who reported in, was fixed.  It related to the Access Protection setting.  You can work around the issue by disabling Access Protection, manually initiating an update, and then re-enabling Access Protection.  No uninstallation / reinstallation of McAfee is required (or will help).  The link below is to the end of the Community Blog discussion:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/384502

The Event ID 512 / mfehidk WARNING you have been experiencing in Event Viewer I have experienced for a long time.  It appears to be associated with the McAfee update process and I am almost certain it is benign. 

The frozen circle on the McAfee icon and the need to manually go to the detailed update GUI is a different issue than the Access Protection one and was the reason I started this thread.

Drek

sbond
Former Member
Message 43 of 99

Jump to solution

I never got that call back from McAfee Support Supervisor.  I have noticed a workaround that allows my updates to start and finish automatically once I do the following:  I open the LiveSafe Internet Security main window and then in the McAfee Updates box click on Check for Updates to open the Update Window and then just send this to the task bar by minimizing.  This is the same Update Window that I otherwise have to open by right clicking on the frozen circle arrow in the McAfee tray icon and selecting View the Running Update, in order to otherwise complete an update.

tzdvl
Contributor
Message 44 of 99

Jump to solution

Drek,

I have the latest/ up-to-date versions of the file:

McAfee VSCore SDK     Version 15.4.0     Build 583.4

which some folks say allows therm to update without needing to disable Access Protection.

But I STILL must disable AP in order to get the process to complete.

My reinstall yesterday was "just in case", as some have suggested it was necessary.

Regarding the "frozen circle" problem...

I just wonder if the Warning message:

Process **\MCUPDA~1.EXE pid (6040) is not from a trusted source and was blocked from performing a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

which seems to be generated with each automatic update attempt, and which looks to ME like the McAfee updater has been blocked, is really benign?

Is it a coincidence that the McAfee update process is hanging at a "frozen circle" icon, and a Warning log is being generated stating that  MCUPDA~1.EXE  "was blocked from performing a privileged operation"?

I hope someone a LOT more knowledgeable than I am checks it out!

Ken

tzdvl
Contributor
Message 45 of 99

Jump to solution

Drek,

Just to clarify the reason I included both the "manual update - disable Access Protection" issue AND the "spinning circle" problem in my original post...

I associated the two problems because I had never needed to do a manual update before the automatic updates hang problem started on my system.

The causes of the two problems might NOT be related, but I first noticed them both on the same day:

August 14, 2015 was the day my Security Center (automatically) updated itself to Build 14.0.4113.

August 14, 2015 was the first time I experienced the persistent "spinning circle" in my tray at startup.

August 14, 2015 was the first time I tried to manually update. I found that unless I disabled Access Protection the attempt always ended with the "McAfee cannot update your software" message.

AND

August 14, 2015 was the day that the Event ID: 516

"Process **\MCUPDA~1.EXE pid (3580) contains signed but untrusted code, but was ALLOWED to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver"

message, which I had been seeing twice daily (associated with each successful McAfee automatic update) since May 14, 2015

was replaced by the Event ID: 512

"Process **\MCUPDA~1.EXE pid (6040) is not from a trusted source and was BLOCKED from performing a privileged operation with a McAfee driver"

message. I have only been getting the "blocked" message (associated with twice-daily McAfee automatic update attempts / hangs) since the Security Center update to build 14.0.4113.

The recent update to build 14.0.4119 has not fixed or changed either issue, OR the consistent (now 2-4 times daily) generation of mfehidk Event ID 512 warning messages.

Ken

sbond
Former Member
Message 46 of 99

Jump to solution

Since I was still having the spinning arrow problem I contacted support again and now they more completely removed McAfee using Windows uninstall and the McAfee removal tool and manually removing all references in the registry and reinstalled. It is too soon to know whether this fixes the problem but interestingly the McAfee version he installed is an older version: Security Center Build 12.8.992 and Antivirus 16.8.821.  If automatic updates work after this, it seems to me it would prove that there is some sort of glitch with Security Center Build 18.0.4054.  I am supposed to get a call back Saturday to check on fix or no fix and I will post whether the older version works properly.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 47 of 99

Jump to solution

My question is why they would install such a 'Old Version' ? Did they give you a reason?

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 48 of 99

Jump to solution

Hi All,

About a month ago, my wife's laptop started having similar problems. I wasn't aware of any changes to her system that stopped some programs from updating and allowing other to continue updating successfully.

After quite some time, I noticed that her system's date and time were off. (She had accidentally changed the date.) Resetting the date and time from the Internet brought back all system updating to normal.

I believe that the date and time must be set within a certain accuracy between the source and destination, to help mitigate man-in-the-middle attacks (and other related security issues).

So, try updating the Date and Time. With an accurate date and time, try updating and see what happens.

Let us know if this helps.

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 49 of 99

Jump to solution

Excellent suggestion, thanks Ron.

sbond
Former Member
Message 50 of 99

Jump to solution

They never told me what they were installing and frankly I never would have thought to ask.  Out of curiosity I checked the build because I started wondering if they might have installed a build which is newer then the one I had (.4113) whose installation seems to have corresponded to the start of the problem. So I was shocked to see a 12.8 version.  I called back and was told that the tech who did the re-installation would be calling me back Saturday morning to see if this fixed the problem.  It really makes me wonder if they suspect something wrong with the newer 14.0 builds.  My system date and time has always been correct.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community