Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pacificmike
Contributor
Message 161 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

HI Bob, welcome to the club!

Bigfeather wat he says is right; I am not sure if he descsribes spedicifically that there is no workaround and you MUST uninstall McAffee in order to get the search features in Widows-7 to work properly.  Once I did that everything was fine and I no longer had to focus on the Index feature, but there is a single caveat that i noticed with it.  When you try to rebuild it will tell you that it is complete, even though it isn't'   Wait an couple of hours and then check it again.

Indexing works properly, at least for me, but I have noticed lately that when I try to insert a file (Outlook mostly) my folder listings are not in the order they were modified.  It seems that most recent folder accessed ends up in  a different location down the list than modified last or alphabetical.  It just started and I have been too busy to investigate.

Your timing is good, my problem is exatly like your, but i purchased the McAfee online, and took the original computer back and rebuilt the OS four or five times over a period of four months and was about to take the second new computer back when I just went on a hunch, as no error messages or that anything is wrong and still fails if you turn mcafee off and nothing at all would work accept uninstalling mcafee.

SPyron, I still need to send a message to you about my status so that i can get on the list you mentioned a couple of weeks ago and emailed me about.

Not sure about the status of this issue when you call Mcafee, but last I heard (a two weeks ago) they were still denying it exists, which is frustrating.

Good Luck,

Pacificmike

Plotinus
Former Member
Message 162 of 244

I'm someone else with a new Dell 64-bit Win 7 PC with McAfee pre-installed who has encountered this  problem. I have therefore been a keen follower of this thread since  early August. What I find supremely depressing is the sub-text running  through the thread showing that the first instinct of customer support  in major companies like Dell and McAfee is still to simply deny that a problem  exists and then, if two companies are involved, for each to blame the  other. This is the reason that I have not even bothered phoning Dell or  McAfee and have been following this much more useful thread instead.

On  my old PC I had Avast for for my AV (free), Sunbelt Personal Firewall  (free), weekly manual runs of Spybot, AntiMalwareBytes or  SuperAntiSpware (all free) and email spam filtering provided as standard by my ISP.  Only sheer inertia and the slight fear that any major change might toss me out of the frying pan and into the fire has stopped me uninstalling  McAfee and reverting to these (or possibly MSE and the Windows  firewall).

And a question. In Post 149 it says the necessary McAfee update will be out on 26 Oct for English-Australia and English-US and in early November for other languages. As a user of the original, un-hyphenated English could you tell me when it will be available in the UK.

Message was edited by: Plotinus on 16/10/10 14:20:10 CDT

Message was edited by: Plotinus on 16/10/10 14:21:28 CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 163 of 244

In UK usually 7 days later. Actually US realease same day as Au release not standard . If you want it earlier wait till the 26th US time and reinstall from the Us server or wait the extra 7 days.

Re chat this something we mods have been on about for ages chat seems to or rather some chat techs seem not to be upto date with latest issues. Will/have retasked this as an item to discuss in our Monday phone call.

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 164 of 244

Bob,

Piece of advice:  Don't jump through hoops uninstalling McAfee or doing anything at all unless you absolutely cannot live for 10 days without an accurate Index.  Yes, you can uninstall McAfee and then rebuild the index and reinstall McAfee... but if you do, first disable your Internet router/connection by unplugging its cable or DSL line or powering it off so you aren't vulnerable to attack while you have no A-V protection.  Also, if you don't have a disk to be able to reinstall McAfee, or if you have a subscription, there are additional steps you should do to insure you can keep your subscription alive and access the download again.... and of course, you will have to be online for a time without A-V protection.  It's just not worth the trouble.  I did it, but that was some time ago and I wanted to "play" to determine the degree of success that would have.  I wouldn't mess with it now as close as the update is to release.  Besides, once you have rebuilt the index, and then reinstall McAfee, your index will progressively deteriorate  because new files may or may not be indexed.

So, what you will wind up doing is spending many hours rebuilding an index that you will want to again rebuild AFTER the update is on your machine.

As I said before, stay your course, steady as you go, and avoid creating more work than necessary for yourself.  The context of this thread has shifted to just hanging and chilling until the 26th.

No one should be advocating uninstalling or doing anything more!!!  We have Somer Pyron, and Peacekeeper, leading our charge through McAfee and until they post that it is alive and available, we should just stand by or we may wind up creating a bigger problem for ourselves.

Pacificmike, reign it in boy, there is no need to workaround... the workaround of uninstalling and all is not an end solution and isn't hardly even a band-aid.  Imagine trying to do that on 20+ machines... the ten days will go by fast enough, so I gave my users a heads up to distrust the indexed search for 10 more days.  I don't think it's worth going ballistic at this stage.

The context of this thread has shifted to just hanging and chilling.  Workaround?  No.  Let McAfee continue to run and install interim updates as normal.  When the update is released, you really don't have to do anything if you have McAfee configured for auto-updates.  McAfee will check for it, grab it, and install it.  WOO-HOO!!!  Just remember your searches may not be reliably accurate until after the October 26th update comes out (whatever version that is).

Message was edited by: bigfeather2 on 10/16/10 3:26:50 PM CDT

Message was edited by: bigfeather2  not yelling so loudly on 10/16/10 3:29:36 PM CDT

Message was edited by: bigfeather2 on 10/16/10 3:35:49 PM CDT
bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 165 of 244

pacificmike wrote:

HI Bob, welcome to the club!

Bigfeather wat he says is right; I am not sure if he descsribes spedicifically that there is no workaround and you MUST uninstall McAffee in order to get the search features in Widows-7 to work properly.  Once I did that everything was fine and I no longer had to focus on the Index feature, but there is a single caveat that i noticed with it.  When you try to rebuild it will tell you that it is complete, even though it isn't'   Wait an couple of hours and then check it again.

Indexing works properly, at least for me, but I have noticed lately that when I try to insert a file (Outlook mostly) my folder listings are not in the order they were modified.  It seems that most recent folder accessed ends up in  a different location down the list than modified last or alphabetical.  It just started and I have been too busy to investigate.

Your timing is good, my problem is exatly like your, but i purchased the McAfee online, and took the original computer back and rebuilt the OS four or five times over a period of four months and was about to take the second new computer back when I just went on a hunch, as no error messages or that anything is wrong and still fails if you turn mcafee off and nothing at all would work accept uninstalling mcafee.

SPyron, I still need to send a message to you about my status so that i can get on the list you mentioned a couple of weeks ago and emailed me about.

Not sure about the status of this issue when you call Mcafee, but last I heard (a two weeks ago) they were still denying it exists, which is frustrating.

Good Luck,

Pacificmike

First of all Mike, you need to read the most recent dozen or so posts before leaping in here with advice, because you obviously don't have a clue.  You are so far out of touch with where this issue has gone that you don't even realize the release comes out in 10 days.   Secondly, your advice to new posters is WORTHLESS because you always rant about your personal suffering and none of us give a rats potootie about that.  Also, calling McAfee isn't going to get anywhere because the phone people aren't in the loop, that's the case with all companies these days.  Lastly, you were given instructions on October 4 to privately email Somer Pyron to be included in the fray for her to help you out but even today,  you admit you haven't yet done that, so whining about it isn't cutting it.  They tried to get you to do that on several occasions but you blamed it on a bad link (that I had no trouble with) then Somer sent you a direct private message to which you haven't replied.  Maybe you aren't as computer savvy as you claim, but ignoring instructions is unforgivable.  She can't help anyone that can't help themselves!!!  Be glad I'm not a moderator on this thread or I would eliminate your posts and block you so you can no longer muddy the water.

In my opinion, you need to slow down, regroup, read the last two or three pages of the thread and try to comply with instructions.  Above all, please don't post advice for newbies on this thread because you are way off the track on this one.

Message was edited by: bigfeather2 on 10/16/10 4:18:17 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 166 of 244

Bigfeather2 posted

The context of this thread has shifted to just hanging and chilling

That is what I suggest chill out people we are here to help each other please be civil to each other otherwise I would need to exert my mod rights and get annoyed with some.

I rarely exert those rights as it is better here to work towards a solution prodding the tired horse to provide a fix you can say.. That said I agree uninstalling for the sake of a 7 day improvement in updating is really not the way to go. If you were BDODing every boot as some were definately chase the fix otherwise please wait. Somer did an excellent job getting this out now rather tahn it waiting for another major patch release so she is the 1 the thank...

Roll on 26th.

pacificmike
Contributor
Message 167 of 244

BF2,  Understanding your gleeful comments and your relief over having something to offer those who are still in a postion to take advantage of it. I cannot locate your response to my comments to Bryan, so i will make my comments in this reply.  i dont believe that Bryan said that he had 20 computers, i think he said he had One that was running Windows-7.  I believe my comments were to him were specifically or to those new to this thread.  If he cant wait or your fix doesnt work for him, he and other new people need to know what the workaround is/was without spending hours going through the comments in this thread since June. I understand your desire to want to point them in the right direction.

My experience has shown me that after four looooong months (march to june) of trobleshooting and frustration and replacing a brand new computer and rebuilding the os to factory defaults five times or more along with installing all the applications that i run on my computer, including mcafee each time I rebuilt, that the only way to resolve the issue without the upcoming fix is to uninstall your product.  This is the FIRST time that I have seen mentioned in this thread about uninstalling and reinstalling and that solves the problem.  ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?  If that is the case, then you should have suggested it a very long time ago.  I installed it at least five times and it broke everytime, or did i misunderstand what you were saying in your reply to me?

After I located the problem as a mcafee problem, wild horses couldn't get me to install it on my computer again, without some assurance of it working correctly ;the second time in some mysterious way, and i refused to be a guinea pig for mcafee technical support to remotley login to my computer after tens upon tens of hours having HP and MS remotely logged on to troubleshoot the problem without success.  If you have already released the fix, which does me no good, then Bryan should follow your instructions as I indicated in my reply to him.  Direct your replies to the specific user comments and you can add comments fo the entire community afterwards, but you know that already.

For those of us who could not wait because we were using trial products from other companies while we waited six months for a fix from mcaffee, and the fact that about a week ago; the replies to this thread that things were looking grim about having a fix anytime soom, I was compelled to purchase another companies product based upon what was being said in this thread and my own experience from being a Computer Engineer and from what I experieced in troubleshooting this product.  i think your crowing like a rooster is a bit pre-mature and now that you have something in sight, want to forget about the others that started this thread and still monitor it to keep mcafee honest after nearly six months of denying they even had a problem.  People need to understand the history that is documented in this thread not just for the fix, but what customers have had to put up with when deciding to buy or consider your product in the future, speaking from a standpoint of a customer and not an employee of McAfee.

I dont particulary care what the indexing says, does or anything else about it, as long as it works.  Your product caused the complete failure of W7 search abilities and now you want me sit on the sidelines after six months and let you take control.  Sorry, I dont play that way.

McAfee owes us all, Big Time!

I stand by what i said to Bryan!

Those who are adminstrators of large networked enterprised or local internets can speak for themselves.  i am just a little guy running a small business with two computers networked wirelessly with a networked printer. Your jumping in glee about your sucesses for fixing something that should'nt have been broken in the first place, doesn't impress me or effect me other than to be glad that others can have the fix they deserve. A little humbleness here could go a long way in keeping those who have waited so long and would be willing to review mcafee products again.

I had a online purchased product as my subscription, but can/could download/save it to my hard drive and then install from there, unless there are some coommunitcations with the server that mcafee installalation requires, other than to register the product.  If not, then you can disconnect form the internet or change a setting to not accept any communcations from outside of your local intranet while you test the new fix.  I am not a  security expert, so please check that it works before trying it.  If I understand the caution you are advising others to take when installing the new fix.  I have not followed your instructions of how to instal the fix and think they are cryptic for someone who is not a computer geek.

PLEASE OFFER ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS OF HOW TO UNINSTALL/INSTALL THE FIX, EITHER IN THIS THREAD OR A LINK TO A WEB PAGE.  If you have not done so already or if it customer support has not attempted to do so.

So, I am sitting here with a useless product online that does not work and my trial period ended for Nortons and I had to do what i felt best at the time based upon the info from this thread and my experience in product development and life cycles.  Any communications with mcafee technical support brought the same response as Bryan got.

So, try to be a little les hubris when making comments about reigning in my comments to new people and my lack of enthusiam for your product.  I cannot get a refund and the time period from March 2010 which will be over five months from now and I have lost seven months of security protection, which was the least of my problems when having the issue of not being able to search several hard drivers with accurate informatin for the entire time that i had your product installed.

If I have misunderstood that you and a couple of others on this thread are representing mcafee, or my favorite description; mucafee, then dont't take offense.  If you are, then you should be a little  less hubris and condenscending to the poor suckers who was forced to buy 2010 security version because none of your previous versions would even install on Windows-7.

I am glad for those who still have options now that you are close to a resolution and they can still use their subscrition, but i was compelled; along with many others, to have security; after more than six years of being a mucafee customer, to buy a product from Nortons which I am satisfied with.

IMO, MCAFEE SHOULD OFFER ALL OF US A "USE WHEN NEEDED REBATE" ON OUR SUBSCRIPTION ONCE THE SUBSCRIPTON OF THE COMPELLED PUCHASE OF OTHER PRODUCTS HAS EXPIRED.

I hope everthing works out for those who had to suffer for so long for even a response from mucafee, except in this thread.  I cannot get a refund, my subsription is almost expired and I was compelled to get protection immediatly after the trial period of Nortons expired.

Do i have bad feelings toward mucafee: YES.  Do  i have a right to be: YES

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR ME AND OTHER LIKE ME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT?

Kudos for sticking in there for your loyal customer base and forcing development to look at this.  There was a lot of comments here from others about their frustrations over the way this was handled. If I have missed something here please correct me, as i want to have my facts straight when i am tallking to other people who may want to purchase your product or need to know about his probem.

PM

Message was edited by: pacificmike spelling and grammar on 10/16/10 5:45:26 PM CDT

Message was edited by: pacificmike more typos on 10/16/10 5:52:49 PM CDT
pacificmike
Contributor
Message 168 of 244

Exert you rights? What about the rights of your customers?

PM

pacificmike
Contributor
Message 169 of 244

It sounds to me like you want to push everything under the rug about the history here. So exert your rights as a moderator and I will find other ways to get the message out.  There are people who your fix does not help and you wantt to silence them. Bad Style!

PM

pacificmike
Contributor
Message 170 of 244

Hold on just a minute, PLEASE!  Stop congratulating yourselves now that your are close to a fix.  There is no reason for you not to let others express their views at this point that have been here from the beginning.  That is so typical of the attitude of the entire company that has followed this issue with your product.

I think that i have things to offer those who are new to this thread and to those who are listening to your incomplete process of what is suppose to happen.  You don't have the right to shut down anyone that is/has legitamet issues here.  Your fix is not the"be all end all" that you are suggesting here for all of your customers.  Do you want to ignore all the others that this fix can no longer help, behind?

Please stop a minute and think things through.  I believe you are so excited about something to offer, that you are rushing things a bit.  You should look at my earlier response to BF2 that is in bold and uppercase so you can filter through the comments.  Those are valid issues and concerns and shouldn't be ingored.

Try to look at all of the issues of all of your customers here and realize that you are addressing an audience from newbies to experienced administrators and programmers.  I spent some time in my career path as a technical writer.  You need to offer instructions based upon the least amount of experienced here or use things like "if you already know this, skip to item such and such" to not bore others, but still provide needed information and reduce the headaches for those who may only give a little bit of money, but i am sure those people make up a lot of your revenue.

You have eaten humble pie for six months now and the natural reaction at this point, is to shut everyone up that is/has been complaning.  I thought i was dealing with professional people here?

You have several types of issues here that the fix does not provide a solution for any longer and you should address those issues too. Also, some have a need and right to vent their frustrations that this fix is not going to help.

The Tea Party doesn't own this country yet!  🙂

PM

Message was edited by: pacificmike on 10/16/10 6:09:17 PM CDT

Message was edited by: pacificmike  comment added on 10/16/10 6:12:45 PM CDT

Message was edited by: pacificmike suggestion on 10/16/10 6:18:14 PM CDT

Message was edited by: pacificmike on 10/16/10 6:19:20 PM CDT

Message was edited by: pacificmike more typos on 10/16/10 6:22:11 PM CDT

Message was edited by: pacificmike more typos on 10/16/10 6:25:02 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community