cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 151 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

To get it fast ie on that day you need to uninstall mcafee using MCPR removal tool (useful links tab above) and then log into the aussie site and install from there. Saves 1 week minimum...

btrombley
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 152 of 244

Peacekeeper wrote:

To get it fast ie on that day you need to uninstall mcafee using MCPR removal tool (useful links tab above) and then log into the aussie site and install from there. Saves 1 week minimum...

It'll be a concurrent release for Australia and the US, so if you're a US customer, no need to log in using the Australia site.

Also, releases tend to go live mid-day Pacific time.  Somer or I will post a note here once it's live.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted for your patience.

Peacekeeper
Message 153 of 244

Thanks Brian reading somer's post I skipped the USA noting maybe as USA patches were normally later by 1 week of aussie 1s. Thanks for fixing my error.

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 154 of 244

WOO-HOO, and WOO-WOO!!!

I marked my calendar to be sure I get my afternoon nap early so I'm alert for it.  Is that 10-26-2010 date for U.S. or for Australia?  I used to know what the International Date Line did when flying across the Pacific, and I think that when it's mid-day on 10-26 in Kansas, it's a whopping +15 hrs. (like 0300 hrs. very early morning) on 10-27 in Brisbane.  (or did I go the wrong way with the clock?)

So anyway, I assume 10-26 for the U.S. is 10-27 in Australia for the momentous occasion, eh?   

I will be watching for your note that it is alive, off the respirator, and available.  I just hope the search is fixed and that nothing else was broken during the process.  I won't be hasty with doing the uninstalls, and reinstalls, though.  One machine at first, until I see and prove for myself the results... then I'll work the other machines progressively.

Thanks.

Peacekeeper
Message 155 of 244

I would assume US time. You do not need to uninstall update will get you it BUT these installs are usually throttled whereas say 4% of users updating actually get the update. This is done to lower sever load.

The uninstall path gets you the latest version without having to retry updating many times. Got my fingers crossed for you all.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 156 of 244

Check out the big brain on this guy!!

Actually, it's a little backwards. We don't actually "send" out an update like this. What happens is that every client is setup to automatically check in with us for an update. When a patch becomes available, we "turn on" the patch for a specific region. When that happens, each client has something like a 4% chance of getting the update each time they check in. With millions of clients, it actually gets out there pretty fast. On the 26th we're going to "turn on" the patch for US and AU (which means AU will actually get it on the 25th).

So you're correct, we haven't yet found a way to move the International Date Line (but I heard we're working on a patch for that) *grin*

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 157 of 244

Wayull, this ain't my first rodeo, y'know!

Somer, "big brain, you say..."  That ain't all about me that's BIG!!.  ....................................ah, so's my FEATHER!  Maybe my heart too, but I bet you weren't thinking that way, were ya?

Hey, Peacekeeper... when you see it's alive, ring my bell.  I'll still be up till after midnight (local CDT) on my 25th (your 26th).  So if it hits you mid-day.. that would be about 9 P.M. for me so I can still jump the masses by nearly a full 24 hrs if I can hit the Aussie site for a full download if it includes the patch.  Never done that before so I plan to either screw up royally or succeed majestically. ****  I just love it when a plan comes together!

Peacekeeper
Message 158 of 244

Ok will keep an eye out

laserbob
Former Member
Message 159 of 244

New to this forum but my problems are exactly as described through this thread. Thank you to all those who have posted who have helped me to reassure me I am not mad.

Brand new Dell. Windows 7 64 bit. McAfee preinstalled. Won't index and most frustratingly the facility to view pictures by month/day etc doesn't function and leaves me with "this folder is empty" message.

Several hours spent with both Dell and McAfee online technicians who blatantly deny there is an issue until I refer them to this site and Brian Trombley's comments.

Dell have offered to reinstall back to factory state, but I don't think that is going to help.

Any suggestions for a newcomer? Should I just be pushing Dell for a replacement to include a different virus product or should I put my faith in the "soon" to be released update, although I note that this has been talked about for a while now.

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 160 of 244

Bob...

I would recommend you stay your course and get the update through normal check for update when it becomes available on the 26th... that's only 10 more days.  In the meantime, McAfee hasn't compromised our computers insofar as virus threats or anything of that nature.  I would not be advising you if I did not believe we will be fixed up on or about the 26th.  If you read my posts, I will crucify McAfee if this fix is not a good one.  I have one computer on Norton as a guest of a friend who had one of his 3-machine coverages open in his subscription but will come back to McAfee when I know it works.  I have other computers that are fully McAfee and will remain so, although those users don't have to do the massive searches that I frequently do.

Hang in and be healed when the release becomes available.

I don't think Dell will swap you a Norton subscription for a McAfee subscription if you bought the machine preloaded... but you can always ask.  If you were a McAfee user before this, I think you have seen the vast amount of work they do (Norton does, too, of course) to keep us updated against evil-doers.  Join us who still believe there is a smattering of good customer service at McAfee HQ.

The moderators on this thread can't cure us themselves, but I give them credit for swinging the bat for us and making sure our posts don't go unnoticed.

Later,

Message was edited by: bigfeather2 on 10/16/10 10:28:58 AM CDT

Message was edited by: bigfeather2 on 10/16/10 10:31:46 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community