cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pacificmike
Contributor
Message 121 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

HELLO ALL.  I have five days left before I must convert my nortons trial version to a full version.  I have the 2010 version of mucafee running on my vista desktop w/o any problems.  Can someone taks a stab at when they think a fix may actually get to us?

thanks,

PM

Peacekeeper
Message 122 of 244

Maybe after tomorrow's mod call we might know more but I feel it will not be within 5 days. Somer might know more tomorrow

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 123 of 244

I'm trying to get a definitive answer for you on 2011, but as it isn't offically in release yet, that's kind of hard to do. As of right now, the answer is that pre-releases will have the same issue, but the release version of 2011 will not. This means, the 2011 CDs that are already available obviously do not have the fix yet, as they were pressed before any fix could be applied. For users with those CDs, they will have to wait for a fix to be sent out via the normal patch release process (ie: a download).

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 124 of 244

Why am I not surprised?  At least there is an "admission of guilt" that finally came out!  But no offer to extend our subscriptions to make it up to those of us who've been screwed for all this time, eh?

Thanks for the post, Somer

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 125 of 244

Well, I don't have any control over subscriptions, so you'd have to contact customer service for that sorta thing.

btrombley
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 126 of 244

Status update on the Windows 7 search issue
Thanks in large part to the participants on this thread, McAfee developers have been investigating this issue for several weeks.  While the issue doesn’t appear to affect all Windows 7 customers, we’re taking it very seriously.  The good news is that we think we’ve identified the root cause.  The bad news is that this is a complex one to fix.  As such, it's going to take some time to get the fix tested and deployed to production.

While I would much rather be posting that the fix is imminent, I do want to keep you informed.  If you've had to uninstall while waiting for a fix, please log in using your McAfee community account, then send Somer a private message and we'll see what we can do.

Message was edited by: Brian Trombley: edited to clarify that you must log in before you can send a private message. on 10/4/10 5:05:27 PM CDT
poolc
Former Member
Message 127 of 244

Sounds like I made the right decision when I complained to Mcafee customer service aggressively enough to get a full refund, and after over 10 years as a loyal McAfee customer, completely removed it from all 8 of my computers and switched to Microsoft Security Essentials plus Cloudmark Desktop One for anti-spam.

As a side note, if the search problem was not bad enough, McAfee Anti-Spam, which worked great for me for many years and was the main reason I always stayed with and renewed my McAfee subscription, has also stopped effectively blocking spam. I am definitely glad I made the switch to products that actually work and do not break my computers!

It will be hard to trust McAfee ever again after it caused me so much grief, took more than 6 months to identify and admit to the flaw in their software, and now cannot even come up with a fix in a timely manner.

LJJ
Contributor
Message 128 of 244

I agree. It sounds to me like this is preparing us all for a long wait.

I have just removed McAfee from one of my machines and replaced it with a competitive product. My other machines will follow as soon as I can get to them. I'm giving up a fairly lengthy subscription but proper functionality of the OS is much more important.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I consider McAfee products again.

pacificmike
Contributor
Message 129 of 244

Hello, when I clicked on the link you providex "private message" it added spyron to the address field but when i hit send, it complained that no one by that name existed on the forum.   Can you be more specific as how to contact Spyron privately?

thanks,

Michael Surles

Peacekeeper
Message 130 of 244

Better still click on her name in any of her posts it will open her public profile and show on Right hand side the private message link.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/10/10 12:02:45 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community