Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UofTguy
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Attn: McAfee Tech Support - Windows 7 / 64 bit, McAfee takes forever to scan

Hello,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 / 64 bit on my machine.  At the same time I installed McAfee Total Protection 2010.  McAfee started its first scan of me 320 GB hard drive last night (approximately 18 hrs) ago and is only on 52%.  I set my PC to never sleep so I know that its has been running all night.

I've run the McAfee Virtual Technician as per directions I found on another post (pasted below). It found nothing wrong. MY SESSION ID IS 21706817.  Can someone from McAfee tech support pls tell me what is going on?  I'm hoping this is taking long just because it is the first scan.

"Can you try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician and check if you are able to find any problem with the McAfee Products installed on the computer. To run the McAfee Virtual Technician please follow the instructions provided below:

Steps:
1. Click on the following link https://us.mcafee.com/root/mvtapp.exe now you would get a file download security warning click on save and save it to the desktop.
2. Now click on ‘Run’ on the next window which would open the McAfee Virtual Technician.
3. Click on ‘Continue’ which would give you the End User License Agreement click on ‘I Agree’.
4. Now the McAfee Virtual Technician would start scanning your computer.
5. Once the scanning is done on the top right corner you would have the Session ID make a note of it.
6. Now if it gives you an ‘Auto Fix’ option please go-ahead and try to resolve the issue or if it gives any message make a note of it.
Now please give us the Session ID so that we can have a look at the information.

Thanks,
OJ"

Tags (3)
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Attn: McAfee Tech Support - Windows 7 / 64 bit, McAfee takes forever to scan

You say McAfee Total Protection 2010, I'm assuming yoiu have purchased the box set that is labelled as such but is in fact the 2009 product with built-in guaranteed upgrade to the 2010 products once they are released.  They are still in beta testing.

Have you tried unchecking the "Scan using minimal computer resources" for a faster scan?

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

Click Advanced (right)

Click Scheduled Scan (left)

Uncheck the item I mentioned, click Apply and OK and close SecurityCenter

See if that helps.  (See attached thumbnail).

Scanning can take a long time depending on how much there is to scan especially if there are a lot of zipped files as VirusScan has to unpack each one.

Sometimes it's wiser to cancel the Scheduled Scan and do a manual one instead where you can at least select more finely what is scanned.

In the steps above instead of clicking Scheduled Scan click Manual Scan instead and configure it there.

Meanwhile I'll pass on your Virtual Technician log for analysis.

By the way this forum is only one part of Technical Support.  There is also Chat support available through McAfee Support at top left/Home & Home Office Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/7/09 1:02 PM
UofTguy
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Re: Attn: McAfee Tech Support - Windows 7 / 64 bit, McAfee takes forever to scan

I just tried this now. It is still at 52%.  I will report back in a couple of hours but so far it still seems to be scanning at the same pace

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

You would have had to stop the current scan for the setting to take effect.  Then see if it happens the next time.  A quick way to check would be to stop the current scan and make sure those settings are as shown.  Then schedule a scan for a short time from now.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/7/09 1:18 PM
UofTguy
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Still no improvement.  A couple hours later and I'm only at 58%.

Can anybody out there give me a hand? McAfee Tech Support?

BTW, is there a better way to in touch with tech support?  This is the first time I've used this forum (or really had issues with McAfee).

UofTguy
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

oh oops...i didnt stop the current scan.  I'll do that right now and reset and then initiate a new scan.  Thanks...I hope this works.

UofTguy
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Well unfortunately, changing that setting didn't do much.  Its been scanning for over 30 minutes and its still only at 2%.   Is there anything else that I can try?  I don't get why it's so slow...the product box said that it would support Windows 7.  I  had Vista on this machine previously with last years version of McAfee and it worked great.

I'm really kicking myself for losing my receipt.  I can't even take it back to the store now.  I had so much faith in McAfee products that it didn't even cross my mind to hold on to the receipt.

I'm pretty disappointed.

Thanks Ex-Brit for all your advice so far.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

It does support Win 7 x86 and x64 I can promise you as I had both (now only x64).  The newer actual 2010 which I am also beta testing on a spare Win 7 is faster, but that's no consolation to you at present.

As it's the weekend and McAfee people on this forum are few and far between I can only suggest the actual Technical Support Chat available here: http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&st=CHAT.

If UofT is what I think it is then you are local to me and they are available 24/7.

If you just bought the product within the last 30 days then there is free phone support too: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100429&lc=1033

(For anyone reading this - the latter is available in N. America only).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/7/09 5:03 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community