cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stinger_28
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

AntiVirus Plus 2010

Howdy.  I'm a bit stumped here, so hopefully some of the McAfee folk lurking around are in a helpful mood.

Here goes.

- - -

I have purchased the product  stated above for my development and graphics workstation, however I need  to know if I can still get file-based or self-extracting patches and  updates for this product once registered/subscribed.  I have arranged  with certain parties for copies of their proprietary SDKs, but the  non-disclosure details require me to keep the development system  off-line once the SDKs are installed.

Their rules for submitted content also require that I have a current antivirus application to scan all compiled works that I submit.  Can I get these updates e-mailed  to me as part of my subscription, or can I at least have an ftp location  where I might get the necessary files onto a USB drive?

Do you have  any option to subscribe for Antivirus Plus for more than one year at a  time?

Thanks.

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: AntiVirus Plus 2010

You've bought the wrong product for what you want.  The consumer product is totally inflexible under the parameters you are seeking and can only be updated via the interface itself - basically it is WYSIWYG with no hidden or behind-the-scenes methods of utilization.  You would be better suited with an Enterprise product such as VirusScan Enterprise but that provides only anti-virus and requires multiple licensing.

There is also Total Protection for Small Business which may or may not suit you.  It does have a beta trial going on right now, see HERE.

You can obtain a refund for any retail purchase within 30 days of purchase.

Sorry to be the purveyor of doom and gloom.

Should you choose to keep the product then we'd be glad to assist at any time and there is also Technical Support Chat and Customer Service Chat (accounts) via the Useful Links at the top of this page..  The licenses are for one year only.

USB drive installation/use is also out unfortunately.

I'll see if I can flag this and get a McAfee person to advise you on your bets choice.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/03/10 7:45:34 EST PM
stinger_28
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Ex-Brit.  Aside from maybe Dinz, does anyone else from McAfee ever participate here directly?

I am so tired of babysitter software that assumes if you're given manual control of anything, you'll electricute yourself, the person next to you, the cat and the attending emergency personnel.

My kids PC is the same.  I keep it strictly off-line, since aside from interesting conversations, the Internet at large has very little of value to offer.

(Take for example, everyone moving away from usenet discussion groups because the web was so much more shiny and now the most popular web applications are discussion groups)

No offense intended, but I'm afraid I don't consider this answered until somebody @ McAfee weighs in.

Stinger_28

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Yes they do and I have posted in our internal area asking for exactly that.

I know exactly what you mean and like your amusing analogy.

You can disable things in Antivirus Plus 2010 but it would be easier to make exceptions for items you don't wish to be cremated in transit, something we have been asking for ever since the consumer products lost that option with the advent of VirusScan 8 some years ago (it's v14 now).    Likewise the SuperDAT update files posted on the Corporate pages can't be applied to the consumer products, another feature we would like to see reintroduced.  That would go part of the way to getting what you seek.

Anyway, hopefully someone from McAfee will chime in tomorrow when the US is back at work.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community