cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarty58
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Anonymizer

One of the websites that I use requires a security question and answer on an occasional basis. However, on my home computer, I must answer the question everyday (at work, I never have to answer the question). When I inquired why, they indicated that I'm running an "anonymizer" which I understand for stealth internet surfing. However, I do not ever remember installing any software that does this.

Is this part of McAfee and if so, how do I get rid of it? I also tested ZoneAlarm at one point and ran Norton for years. I never recall the issue in Norton; I don't know about ZoneAlarm. Is there a way to tell what the anonymizer program is or where it might be hiding?

Any help is appreciated.

Mike
Tags (1)
3 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

RE: Anonymizer

Its not a McAfee software but they do partner with McAfee to sell the product to interested parties..
it is not sold /installed/supported/download able on McAfee....

Perhaps this website might help
roarty58
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I appreciate the response, but it doesn't appear to the be issue. I am having this problem on all computers I have on my home network, and have never installed the anonymizer program. The common thread on these computers is:

1. Network hardware
2. ISP
3. McAfee Total Security currently installed
4. Norton Internet Security previously installed
5. Anonymizer or other stealth surfing software never installed

I have taken care of testing #1 in that I disconnected my computer from the network and connected it directly to my ISP. The same issue occurs. I did a check to see how my computer is recognized on the internet, and it is showing the same IP Address that I'm reading on my WAN connection and it is reporting no detectable proxy servers. I'm following up on #2 with my ISP.

That leaves #3 or #4, or an issue with the website I'm using. To my knowledge, I've removed all traces of Norton from all of my computers, using the Norton removal tool, but I am going to follow up with Norton.

I really am thinking that my issue is either McAfee (in fact one of the computers I'm using has only had this version of McAfee installed on it -- never Norton). Does anyone know if there is some feature of McAfee Total Security that might emulate some sort of proxy server or anonymous surfing program?

Thanks again.
:confused:

BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Some browsers also can hide user information from websites.

Have you tried visiting the website in question with IE? If so, do you have any plug-ins / add-ins installed for IE?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community