cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nopicnic
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Alert messages disappear too quickly

I've had this problem with the latest version of SecurityCenter on two different laptops, and it's really frustrating. I've gotten a Trojan quarantine alert in a pop-up bubble by the system tray, but then it vanishes before I can read it or even click on it. The same happens after a virus scan. I only have a second to read the results before it vanishes. Thanks to the programs' unhelpful interface, it's difficult to find a log or something to give me more information. Help!
6 Replies
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

hi

to view the alert options for the security center, do this:

open mcafee security center.
on the lower right pane, click configure.
then, on security center configuration, click on alerts, then, advanced.
after that, you'll see the alert options, and see if "alert me when a virus or security threat occurs" is checked.

to view the quarantined items:
open mcafee security center.
clicked the "advanced menu" on the lower left pane.
then, on the left side, look for "restore", click that.
after that, you'll see the list of items qurantined that you can delete if you want to.. happy
nopicnic
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

RE: hi

Thanks, Denis, but that really doesn't solve my problem. The alert messages appear, but they usually vanish before I can read it or click on it. That's the heart of the issue. It even happens after a complete scan of my hard drive, before I can see if there's any viruses that were detected. The trojan thing I think I've got under control.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Dennis/nopicnic, I've noticed that too. I'm making it a subject for our next Monday's conference call with McAfee.
nopicnic
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Anyone else? This is a pretty serious problem.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

If they are disappearing the second they appear then there's something wrong with the installation and/or you have an infection.

Check for spyware with the free version of this tool: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Also check for incompatible software: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307274&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS

If that doesn't help try a cleanup and reinstallation.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Yes this might be it..
I have seen it stay ok for atleast 20 or 45 secs on My beta as well as on 09 RTM suites
so it could be the browser settings or a possible malware
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community