cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pieter1973
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Again a Windows 7 indexing problem with McAfee?

Hello,

In 2010 I had big trouble with the indexing service of Windows 7. See https://community.mcafee.com/message/160634. When indexing my computer, the service stopped after having indexed only about 600 items. The problem was caused by the McAfee suite, I found out.

Now, I have exactly the same problem. Windows 7 (32 bit) does give up indexing after about 600 items!

Could it be, McAfee Internet Security is causing this problems again? I use Security Center version 11.6 build 11.6.385.

Thanks for your response.

Igor

Message was edited by: Pieter1973 on 9/13/12 10:09:44 AM CDT

Message was edited by: Pieter1973 on 9/13/12 10:10:49 AM CDT
6 Replies
Pieter1973
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Again a Windows 7 indexing problem with McAfee?

Hello there,

Is there anybody from McAfee who can comment on the message above. The problem still persists and that really sucks. Really big chance that McAfee causes it. It's exactly the same problem as in 2010!

Igor

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

It's something that is best dealt with by Technical Support, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.   It's free by phone or online chat.

All I can suggest is to make sure that Windows 7 is SP1 and fully updated, including IE9 even if you use another browser.

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Hello folks,

I didn't think I would be revisiting this issue ever again... but I am pleased to report that my searches have been fine since the issue was fixed back in 2010 with the upgrade.

Pieter1973, I am also running SC 11.6 but Build 11.6.434 which was downloaded and installed to my computer as an auto-update by McAfee on 9/28/12.

Is your subscription current (active) with McAfee and do you have McAfee configured for automatic updates?  Check your subscription by double-clicking your McAfee icon in the taskbar tray, selecting Navigation, and then Subscription to see if you're still a valid subscriber.  Then click Navigation and in the RH column scroll down and select Automatic Updates to choose your preferences there.  You can also RIGHT CLICK on the McAfee icon in the taskbar tray and select Check for Updates to manually update to Build .434 .

Having said all of this, I also am reminded that my Build series is the English version as distributed in the US but I have made the assumption that your build should correspond.  I also have not tried to rebuild my index from scratch... but I will if you report back that you are fully up-to-date per the above and that you still are having a problem. I have over 750,000 files indexed now and I don't want to go through 10-plus hours of rebuilding my index from scratch if I don't have a darn good reason to do so.  I am pretty sure mine is working fine because my file count changed when I deleted some old files.

Be courteous and reply when you've updated and attempted a rebuild again.

Hang in there.  We received lots of help back in 2010, but it WAS quite a battle we had to wage to convince McAfee there was indeed a problem with their software/scripts before their Technical Support got off dead center and did anything about it.  As I remember, the moderators were just as frustrated as we were because their hands were tied until Technical Support finally woke up.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for posting bigfeather2.

It should also be noted that people who get McAfee software through 3rd parties, ISP's, PC makers etc. etc. often are kept waiting a long time for actual build upgrades and there is nothing that McAfee can do about that unfortunately.

Pieter1973
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

When I posted the original message on September the 13th, I was using build 11.6.385. Since a while, I'm using also build 11.6.434. So I didn't have to upgrade manually. Updates are installed automatically. 

My subscription is active till August the 18th 2013. I use a Dutch version of the software. I bought the software myself in September 2009 and renewed it every year since then. So, it's not a 'third party' version.

Yesterday, I started to rebuild the Windows 7 index from scratch. After about 800 items being indexed, the process stops! There should be more than 50.000 items to be indexed. So, it seems that something is wrong. Maybe, some other software is causing the problem. But I immediately thought about the McAfee indexing problem in 2010.

Bigfeather2, I'm glad to hear from you again!

Igor

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

OK you should always be getting the most recent builds as soon as they are released to the servers in your area then.    I would most definitely open a case with Technical Support on this.    I could say wait for 12.1 but that could be a while as it's only just reached public beta testing testing.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community