Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehorne
Former Member
Message 21 of 41

RE: 9.3, daily update, computer unprotected - fix

Ex_Brit,

I have the Anti-Spam module (10.3.109) which is part of my McAfee Security Center 9.3.

I do have Advanced System Care Pro 3 (version 3.1.2) from Iobit which has a registry defragger built into it.

As I stated, after I ran the Virtual Technician the second time around all the errors had been removed. I ran it yet a third time to be perfectly sure. According to McAfee Virtual Technician everything is in order.

Thanks, Dave Horne
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 41

RE: 9.3, daily update, computer unprotected - fix

OK, that's good. I've learned over the years to avoid any kind of registry compactors, cleanup tools, speed-up tools. They all do one thing, screw up the system, eventually.

Windows own defragger does a good job and there are loads of reputable ones that defrag everything quickly and cleanly. I wouldn't trust a tool that is a "registry defragger" - it's the disk that should get defragged as a whole not just part of it.
mabente
Former Member
Message 23 of 41

Many problems, no solutions

I have the same problems, I try the same "solutions" and I get the
same results : nothing. Is somebody out there trying to solve this ?
One more word, we are more than "a few complaints" ¡¡¡
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 41

RE: Many problems, no solutions

I have no idea if it's being worked on as this a user to user forum and to see staff here is rare and never on the weekend anyway. You had best contact Technical Support, link at top left of page or in my signature.
I have made this a topic for our weekly conference call on Monday.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 25 of 41

I'm going to stick my nose in here as well - I'm seeing this too.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showpost.php?p=550864&postcount=25

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that (once again) this is something on McAfee's side - since so many of us are seeing it at the same precise time. Front Line Tech Support are quite simply, not qualified to give useful information in such circumstances, as anyone who's read my threads will know.

ExBrit - can you update us after the conference call please? If you look at my other post on the other thread, you might find it useful.

When forcing check for updates:
1) spinning icon as usual
2) status: "downloading"
3) becomes status: "McAfee VirusScan" - with incremental percentage
4) gets to 100% and icon disappears and reappears for installation procedure as per normal
5) sits there "installing" for a few seconds, then disappears.

Bad push on the DAT I reckon - I've seen something similar while ago with previous versions of VirusScan - in which the 'install' component of a SuperDAT had been omitted - so it would download, but never could install.

I'm going to say hang tight until tonight's/tomorrow's push - but I reckon it's gotta be a bad push from McAfee's side. Either that, or something on MS Patch Tuesday has caused issues (also not unheard of!)...

Cheers,
Goph.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 41

That sounds like a failed server. I've seen that happen here, but usually only when I've asked for an update. A 2nd or 3rd attempt usually gets it to work.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 27 of 41

Exactimo! I've been forcing it to try and update every few minutes. I'd be really interested to know how McAfee's update protocol works - if it goes for just one server, or tries whichever is available, or has a list to try from?

I've got 3 machines running McAfee - I know for certain that one always seems to go for a different server to the others. It's also curious that there's the new SC and PFP version out - and only one of my machines has got it yet.

On the older versions, I remember that forcing multiple updates would make it grab the info from another server, but dunno if this is still the case.

I stand by my deduction that there's potentially something wrong in the DAT push - perhaps this is on one, or more of the worldwide servers. We know that this might not affect everyone because not all servers may be affected - and of course, not everyone will be posting here if they've got the issue.

Cheers,
Goph.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 41

There's not much I can do except pass it on tomorrow.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 29 of 41

Thanks - well sometimes that's all that's needed - it's something I used to do with the Tier 2 folks - when I'd noticed a potential server issue, I'd inform them by email, they'd raise a friendly flag with Engineering - and whoops! - pick up on a server issue that no-one had noticed.

Sadly I can't do that anymore, since my Tier 2 contact has left McAfee.

Tier 1 Front Line won't even blink an eyebrow - it's the 3R's for them - Reinstall, Reboot, Ridicule 😉

Cheers,
Goph.

PS. Perhaps someone should pop into the server room and give the update mainframe a good kicking... wink
davehorne
Former Member
Message 30 of 41

Be sure to take something extra from petty cash. You're a volunteer who helps us out and I'm guessing you receive nothing except free software.

Your help ... and patience is greatly appreciated.

I just got in from a job (I'm a musician) and I'm having a glass of wine. I recommend the same to you.

Cheers!

DH
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community