Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spence
Contributor
Message 11 of 41

RE: 9.3, daily update, computer unprotected - fix

Sorry, I am also on 9.3

Reading through this forum, it seems its happening to loads of people, not just me?

Is this correct?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 12 of 41

Not really, but we have received few Customer complain about this issue. We update our detection signature files every day. So please do get back to us if this happen in future

Regards
Bala
craigandi
Former Member
Message 13 of 41

I am having the same problems. I also notice cpu usage at 100% for up to 20 min. Seems like a bad update to me.
davehorne
Former Member
Message 14 of 41

The same thing I reported in my initial post in this thread happened just now. It's 21 Feb (10:15 AM CET, +1 GMT), I just turned on the computer and whatever updates were installed today left the 'Computer and Files' portion of Security Center unprotected. I simply clicked Fix and it was resolved.

Now, this isn't a big deal, but I doubt my wife would know where to look in the system tray to open Security Center. There's a glitch somewhere it would seem.

Just passing this on.

The next time this happens I'll look to see what modules have been turned off. Perhaps this can narrow down this issue.

SecurityCenter 9.3.127
VirusScan 13.3.115
PersonalFirewall 10.3.106
SiteAdvisor 2.9.242
AntiSpam 10.3.109
Parental Controls 11.3.103

Dave Horne
davehorne
Former Member
Message 15 of 41

Regards
Bala

You wrote that 'few Customer complain about this issue'. In this thread there are just two. Are there others ... or is it just the two here?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 41

I think he meant "a few" in other words several. I know there have been quite a few in these forums and I am sure many in Tech. Support.

As it's the weekend I would advise anyone who needs fixes to contact Technical Support Chat, link at top left of this page or in my signature.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 41

I've also been having this problem. I have contacted Tech Support which proved unhelpful. I was advised that I have a virus, which from the info that I gave I can't quite see how that conclusion was reached. It must be very strange virus as it is apparently undetectable by a few well know programs! The Tech Support directed me to their pay-for help. So we have virus that the McAfee virus scanner itself cannot detect but if you pay some more money McAfee will fix it for you. Mmmm, think that I will pass on that one.
This does appear to be related to some dodgy update as everybody started having the problem at the same time. Come on McAfee, you must know something about this. :confused:
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 41

I've made it a topic for our Monday conference call. Meanwhile ensure that Windows is up to date for both critical and non-critical updates.
davehorne
Former Member
Message 19 of 41

This might be a pertinent follow up ... or not. Just for the hell of it I ran the McAfee Virtual Technician.

It found two errors and corrected them. I had to run the program two times to correct those errors. I ran the program yet a third time to see if there were any errors; the program told me there were none.

I copied and saved the results of one of the errors.

Here it is ....

Expected Registry Key not Present
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SharedModules\c:%progra~1%common~1%mcafee%instal~1%mcinst.exe MSK
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 41

I think that means it can't find the Spamkiller installer.
1. Do you have Spamkiller (Anti-Spam as it is now called)?
2. Are you doing any registry cleaning as this can cause this issue?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community