cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehorne
Former Member
Message 1 of 41

9.3, daily update, computer unprotected - fix

I upgraded from 8.x to 9.3, had several issues with 9.3 and completely removed (several times) 9.3 and installed fresh. I did the drill - (in Vista), Control Panel - Programs and Features, ran the MCPR.exe and also checked to see if there were any remaining folders to be manually removed.

Today, 17 Feb 2009, McAfee installs an update and at the end of the install I am told the computer is unprotected. I click 'Fix' and that does indeed do the fix.

Is this a common occurrence with 9.3? I never, as far as I can recall, had to 'fix' the computer after an update, an upgrade perhaps, but not an update.

Security Center 9.3, build 9.3.137
VirusScan 13.3, build 13.3.115
Personal Firewall 10.3, build 10.3.106

Thanks, Dave Horne
40 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 41

RE: 9.3, daily update, computer unprotected - fix

Hi,

Please try the below steps.

• Open My Computer > Right click on C drive > select properties > click on the tab General > click on the box disk clean up, once it’s done restart the computer
• Open My Computer > Right click on C drive > select properties > click on the tab Tools > click on the box Defragment now, once it’s done restart the computer
• click on start > Run > type services.msc > check all the Mcafee services are enabled
davehorne
Former Member
Message 3 of 41

First, I cleaned up the computer per your instructions though I should add that I normally use McAfee QuickClean that comes supplied with Security Center. I clean the computer several times a week using McAfee.

Defrag - I also defragged the computer per your instructions even though I use Smart Defrag from Iobit. Microsoft's built in defrag however informed me I didn't need to defrag so I didn't restart the computer a second time.

The only McAfee service not on Automatic in services.msc was McAfee Scanner. I didn't change that setting.

Shall I assume this was a one time glitch caused by that update on 17 Feb?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 41

Can you try to create a new user profile and check the status?

To create a new user profile> Click on Start> Click on Control Panel> Click on User Accounts> Click on Manage other accounts> Click on Create a New Account> Create one with Administrator Rights

Restart the computer and login back with the new user profile and check the computer’s performance
davehorne
Former Member
Message 5 of 41

Bala, I already have two accounts, a Guest account (with no rights) and my account with Administrator rights.

Do you want me to create yet another account also with Administrator rights?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 41

Yes, we are trying to create a Test account to check if this issue happens again.

Regards
Bala
davehorne
Former Member
Message 7 of 41

Bala, after I posted last night I did create a new account with Administrator rights. After a short while I deleted that account and when I did it took away the settings for my external backup. I should not have completely deleted the settings for that new account I have since learned.

If it's all the same to you, I do not want to create another account with Administrator rights. If this glitch\problem\issue reappears I'll post again.

I'll assume this was a glitch in that particular update or a glitch with my particular set up.

Thanks, Dave Horne
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 8 of 41

That’s ok, but please do get back to us if you have any more concern with McAfee product Good luck 🙂

Regards
Bala
Spence
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issue.

Aftet the 17th update, I was told it installed correctly, but then I had a little cross and was told I needed to fix, which I did.

Today, the 20th, another update, installs correctly, again , I have to fix.

It only ever turns off the Computer / Email, not the internet and other one, and its normally this the Mcafee updates, so I assume this is a problem being caused by the update?

I have scanned for a virus, nothing, the computer indeed shows no sign of a virus. but it is becoming frustrating and worrying as this is the second time now.

I have followed the steps above with no joy.
Spence
Contributor
Message 10 of 41

• click on start > Run > type services.msc > check all the Mcafee services are enabled

There are a couple disabled ?

One of them is Alerter? Should this not be enabled.

Others disabled are Clip book, Messenger, Network DDE, Network DDE DSDM, Routing And Remote, Telnet

I am paranoid enough when it comes to viruses, but I really do not think this is caused by one.

But any ideas more than welcomed, and I really do not want to have to reinstall it.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community