Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malik_Samath
Contributor
Message 81 of 110

Re: Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

Jump to solution

Hello Farhan. I would like to contact you with a problem I have in your product. McAfee's Modular core service take's upto 50% of my memory and this started happening a few days back. I would like to know how to fix this issue. 

Malik_Samath
Contributor
Message 82 of 110

Jump to solution

I too have the Module core service issue where it uses upto 50% of my laptops memory. Would like to know how to solve this issue. Thanks

jonno2001
Contributor II
Message 83 of 110

Jump to solution

These are exactly the same symtoms i have on Win7, running McAfee Internet Security 16.0 R10

Mine was all fine until a recent update, must have been rolled out around first week of April 2018?

Now, I have to a rather slow restart, taking upto about 8minutes to fully restart and be stable again, at which point MMSSHOST.exe runs at about 49MB ... after about 24hr its up to about 90MB ... but by about day 4 its up around 300MB, by which point it becomes very messy, every app slows down, with Task MAnager showing MMSSHOST using about 25% CPU every 2 miutes or so, during which time video playback locks up and sound has a static effect, then the MMSSHOST releases its grip and all ok again for another 2 minutes.  Though some days it consume 25% ALL of the time and takes >3,000MB of CPU

So at the moment, by day 4 i'm having to reboot !!

This is all remenisant of the Quick Clean bug 12months ago ... and that took about 6 months for McAfee to acknowledge the issue before sending an update to correct it

This MMSSHOST.exe issue is now on several threads, so clearly an issue for 100's if not thousands of users (it could be even higher, but appreciate some users shutdown lapstops everyday, so it perhaps doesn't have time to give them greif)

jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 84 of 110

Jump to solution

Think it's more than proven moderators in this Community are wannabes gaining points for Mcafee... totally full of bull**bleep**. Lost my hope of anyone solving this issue. Bye bye for good Mcafee...

enzokk
Contributor II
Message 85 of 110

Jump to solution

Sorry, my phrases may not make sense as sometimes they confuse even me. What I mean is when I shut down via the start menu (shut down option) the usage remains high when the computer has started up again. But if I press down the power button for 7 seconds and it forces a shut down when the computer restarts the usage is down to below 30mb before slowly creeping up again.

So not a hard restart, but a shut down. I am sure there is a proper term for it, but for me just shutting down via windows does nothing but shutting down (forcing it, thus hard) helps to sort out the problem temporarily.

jonno2001
Contributor II
Message 86 of 110

Jump to solution

I found an reply within another thread on this same MMSSHOST issue, mentioning that if users have installed the Windows Update KB4088881 for Win7 (or KB4088882 for Win8.1 ... not sure of the update applicable to Win10).  Basically it was a Monthy Rollup release for March and released 22nd/23rd March, and it would seem that for a lot of us this MMSSHOST issue started to cause problems from the 24th March.  Within the known issues part of the Win Update, it mentions that it is affecting Antivirus programs and that a further Win Update was released on the 17th April to counteract this issue.

The Win Update page doesn't refer to which Antivirus applications in particular nor to specifically what aspect of the program it would affect.  But it seems looking at Microsofts reponce it appears to have affected Norton products too.

So, is it a co-incidence that the Win Update was an option update (so not everybody would have installed it) but that it was generally released the day before many people became victim to this bug ?

However, there are reports of high CPU usage against MMSSHOST as far back as November 2017, but maybe the same bug was release as part of a Win Update back then too ??

I've installed the Win Update release that Microsoft suggest as the Win7 counterfix to the Antivirus bug of KB4088881 .... their update is KB4093113, that was restarted last night, but generally i've not been seeing the MMSSHOST issue until my pc has been running for about 3~4days (so won't know if it was a fix until about saturday/sunday)

ramalhoff
Contributor
Message 87 of 110

Jump to solution

I was going through all the comments made on this thread and can't really believe how slow they have been to fix this issue. I recently restored my Windows 10 to zero and reinstalled McAfee and the problem with CPU seemed to be solved until today, when my computer, that literally has zero personal files and no installed programs (because it's been restored), started to get unbeliavably slow again and what caused that? McAfee! They seriously need to get this fixed or provide us refunds because it's just not worth it.

Ade57
Contributor II
Message 88 of 110

Jump to solution

After my post of 3/12/18 indicating low CPU and memory useage of Module Core Service after Windows 10 and McAfee update, the memory usage gradually increased to 435 Mb over 16 days as of 3/28/18.  Today, I searched for any Windows 10 updates (which should have come through automatically, but did not) and found 2018-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64 based systems (KB4093105) for my Dell Inspiron Laptop PC.  After downloading and installing, my CPU  and memory for Module Core Service are back down to 0 percent and 11.7 Mb.  Will monitor to see if the memory useage increases over the next two weeks.

jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 89 of 110

Jump to solution

Any update of Windows or Mcafee will reduce the Memory to very low levels, but it's a matter of time for it to start growing again... Many of us experienced this already...

Ade57
Contributor II
Message 90 of 110

Jump to solution

Correction to my post one hour ago.  The indicated dates of 3/12/18 and 3/28/18 should be 4/12/18 and 4/28/18.  These dates refer to the referenced available Windows 10 updates that were installed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community