cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prsmendonca
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

McAfee cannot cancel auto-renewed charge made on old card

I just had a charge of over $300 USD posted on my account. McAfee claims it does not have services for that amount, and could not find any record of the transaction under my current credit card number. McAfee also has no record of the transaction under my email, but I don't have any other email address. I am already disputing the charge with my credit card company, and they told me this is an auto renewal, with the first charge posted one year ago, for a bit over $140 USD. Both the past and current charges refer to McAfee's customer-service phone number and link to McAfee's site. The old charge was made on a previous card number, referring to a card that I canceled and destroyed several months ago. I have the last four numbers of the old card, and I was hopping McAfee would be able to get to the bottom of this with that information (last four digits of card number, exact charge amount, and exact date of transaction), but McAfee also requires the first six digits of the card. I don't have that information for the old card, and not even my credit card company would provide that to me, as it is unsafe to do so. Also, no legit merchant requests that, and the fact that McAfee does raised a red flag with my credit card company, who asked me to verify whether I was indeed calling McAfee.

I suspect that one year from today I'll be having the same problem, and I was hopping McAfee would be willing to get to the bottom of it.

2 Replies
Edward_Franso
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee cannot cancel auto-renewed charge made on old card

Hi @prsmendonca 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details to help you regarding the refund.

Regards,

Edward Franso

prsmendonca
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee cannot cancel auto-renewed charge made on old card

I just got off the phone with a McAfee customer-support representative, initiated by McAfee. The only new information I received in the call is that, from the phone number and website of the merchant in the credit-card statement, McAfee believes the transaction is legitimate. However, I was again asked for not only the last four but also the the first six digits of my old credit card number. I was even asked whether I could obtain this information from my bank, which, of course, is not possible. Therefore I neither have this information nor I can obtain it - the card was destroyed for a reason. McAfee should not require people to provide this amount of detail - that's only six numbers short of the full credit card number. I already have the exact amount and exact date for both transactions, the full credit card number for the latest transaction, and the four last digits of the credit card of the original one-year-old transaction. As it is, I have a standing recurrent charge with McAfee that McAfee cannot locate in their system - a bizarre situation! My only recourse is to dispute the charge with my bank, which I have already done, and hope that the auto-renewal will not kick in again last year.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community