cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sivasubramanian
Message 31 of 42

Re: Live Safe is stopping Excel opening files with error message OLE

@climbergal 

Thanks for sharing the information. Our engineering team is working on this and will posted with the progress.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
TonkyPolonium
Contributor
Message 32 of 42

Just adding my voice to the choir...  This causes real problems almost every day.  When I forget to disable real-time scanning  -- and just the thought of doing that makes me cringe! -- it either means closing Excel through Task Manager (if I'm lucky), or rebooting (that's most of the time).  No reply necessary, but please fix this soon!

sivasubramanian
Message 33 of 42

@TonkyPolonium 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We request you to remove, reinstall McAfee and update us the issue status.

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

How to download and install McAfee consumer products 

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
fishingbear
Contributor
Message 34 of 42

According to this thread McAfee engineers have been working on this issue for over 6 weeks.  When can we expect a resolution or should we who have been inconvenienced for weeks seek a refund on our subscription and move to Microsoft Defender to ensure proper functioning with the Office programs we use every day?

sivasubramanian
Message 35 of 42

@fishingbear 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We have received an update from the engineering team as this issue is resolved in upcoming release. We request you to remove, reinstall McAfee and update us the issue status.

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

How to download and install McAfee consumer products 

Regards
Siva N

ACMC
Contributor
Message 36 of 42

McAfee has been working on this since the middle of August. It is now October. And this issue started sometime in early August. SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! or it'll be the last time I'll buy McAfee. My patience has run out!

Tell me why I need to turn off Real-Time Scan when I need to access Microsoft Excel and Word? That is pointless if I want virus protection.
TonkyPolonium
Contributor
Message 37 of 42

Just following up:

I hadn't tried opening Excel files this past week, but gave it another shot today.

Everything seems to be working just fine now.   Excel reports that files are being scanned on open, but the OLE hang appears to be a thing of past.  Maybe it was the 10/6 update?  Maybe one before?

This must have been a frustrating and devious bug to track down, but I guess the McAfee team did finally find and fix it. 

Thank you!

ACMC
Contributor
Message 38 of 42

Nope, it still does not work.

It does exactly what it did before "Running virus scan" endlessly. And the odd time, I still get the OLE.

The only way to stop it is by turning off Real-Time Scan in which case, why bother even having a virus checker.

JonDa
Contributor
Message 39 of 42

I am experiencing the same issue and it's becoming ridiculous now. I work for a small software company and when any bug is reported the programming team attacks it immediately and is always able to fix it rapidly. How is it that a multi million dollar company can't fix this glitch after two full months? This is a huge annoyance that significant slows down the work flow. Won't be renewing our subscription, that's for sure. 

Do better McAfee, seriously.

ACMC
Contributor
Message 40 of 42

Well I noticed my "Real-Time Scan" is set to ON after a McAfee update yesterday.

And amazingly, my MS Excel files open. I'll report back if something isn't working.

It took them long enough. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community