cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_4167
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

"Windows" Firewall- McAfee Firewall one in the same?

Jump to solution

I am having many problems with my Win 10 machine.

In trying to find answers I went to my "Functions" to see what I might see and while there I saw

Under the "M"s Mcafee Firewall is listed.

BUT  under the "W" section I find  Windows Firewall.

I tried to shutdown "Windows Firewall" believing there might be a conflict, only to be told that

IF I shut down "Windows Firewall" that  McAfee Firewall would also shut down.

On the list Windows Defender shows to be off.

So IS "Windows" Firewall- McAfee Firewall one in the same?

Thanks

McM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

Re: "Windows" Firewall- McAfee Firewall one in the same?

Jump to solution

I would stress that Edge is probably the problem as it isn't supported (simply because Microsoft wont allow outside software to support it).

Make sure IE11 is up to date in Windows Update.

Here are a few useful links for you:

How to turn IE11 ON or OFF In Win 10

How To Bring Back Quicklaunch In Win 10

How to Add Internet Explorer Desktop Icon in Windows 10

How To Bring Back (Vista) Old-Style Windows Mail in Windows 10

That last one - post #10 is what you want.

I think this thread could be marked "Assumed Answered" could it not?

View solution in original post

11 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

To basically answer your question, Yes. Your Windows Firewall/McAfee Personal Firewall Plus work hand in hand together( Being managed by McAfee). The reason your Windows Defender is off by 'Default', is due to the fact unlike in prior Operating Systems. It includes (Anti-Virus) capabilities.

Having said that, running 2 Anti-Virus applications can and will conflict with each other. You can be self assured that as long as your User Interface is (Green) and states that 'Your Computer is Secure', you are just fine.

To better explain all of your Features, you can open your McAfee UI,click on Help/then click on Help again and you will have a 'Step by Step' Guide/Tutorial explaining how to use/tweak/become familiar with all of your product features.  for instance see:  McAfee Help

I hope this helped..

All the Best,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Also you mentioned that you were experiencing problems/issues? Could you elaborate more please? In any case you can run the latest McAfee Virtual Technician, it will check for issues and attempt to fix them should any exist.

Plus  you can contact Technical Support 24/7 free of charge, using this same link.

Via Phone/Online Chat being the quickest route to take.

http://mvt.mcafee.com

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

When any software with a firewall, like McAfee security suites, is installed, it will automatically turn off Windows Firewall and in your case Windows Defender and those items should stay off.

When you try to turn Windows Firewall on it will say that McAfee is controlling it now...that is correct.    (If you ever uninstall McAfee, Windows Firewall will auto-reactivate but you would have to turn Windows Defender back on manually).

What Catdaddy has said about Windows Defender is also important as in Windows 10 it should be turned off at all times when another antivirus is installed.

user_4167
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

I don't think my problems have been generated by McAfee.

My main problem is that I have no START button as before, no Edge, no Calculator, no MS store or Money.

I am able to post because I have IE 11 so I can get to the world.

user_4167
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

My UI doesn't say "Your Computer is secure" BUT all the boxes show "on" or "up to date".

When trying to use the "help" in my UI it can't be done since I have no ability with Edge.

Can you tell me where to find information about the last update McAfee sent out?

I don't think edge is receiving them. Perhaps they come through IE 11?

I CAN get to the link you posted because I am in IE.

Is that the same help as I would have gotten to through the UI?

Doesn't this forum notify when a reply is made?

Thanks for your help.

MCm

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

In addition I might add, For your own personal Privacy/and to help prevent possible 'Spam'. My (Personal) opinion is that I would not your have your (Email Address) attached to your (Username).

Just thought I would add that....

You would benefit immensely if you were to go to Windows 10 Forums   There are also apps out there at a reasonable cost, which tweaks Windows 10 and allows you to have the (Start) button and more as it was prior to the OS. Perhaps a Colleague/Someone whom runs 'Windows 10' will pick up this thread and add to the discussion.

To answer your question in regards to being notified of responses to this thread, since you are subscribed to it yes you should be Notified. This is done by setting your 'Preferences' when you register.

As for you checking to see if you are receiving your daily (Anti-Virus) Engines Versions/Updates. Simply (Right Click) on your McAfee Icon in the lower task tray. Select Open/About/scroll down and inspect your Engine Version. As of this time the current Engine Version is ( 2757.0).

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Look up "Start10" by Stardock - it's a great, cheap utility that brings back the Windows 7-style Start Button and Start Menu.

That said, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update brought it back - sort of.  Are you totally up-to-date ?

The Windows 10 forums that Catdaddy mentioned have some wonderful Tutorials that make life with Windows 10 much easier.

I do not recommend using Edge until such time it accepts any add-on as it isn't secured by WebAdvisor or supported.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

I would stress that Edge is probably the problem as it isn't supported (simply because Microsoft wont allow outside software to support it).

Make sure IE11 is up to date in Windows Update.

Here are a few useful links for you:

How to turn IE11 ON or OFF In Win 10

How To Bring Back Quicklaunch In Win 10

How to Add Internet Explorer Desktop Icon in Windows 10

How To Bring Back (Vista) Old-Style Windows Mail in Windows 10

That last one - post #10 is what you want.

I think this thread could be marked "Assumed Answered" could it not?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Thanks Mate!

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community